February 14, 1970 |
|Fields||Geography, Political science, Environmental Economics|
|Institutions||London School of Economics and Political Science|
|Alma mater||London School of Economics and Political Science (MSc 1994; Ph.D. 1999), Saarland University (Diplom Economics 1995), University of London (Ph.D. 1999)|
|Notable awards||Philip Leverhulme Prize (Geography, 2003)|
Eric Neumayer (born 1970 in Zweibrücken) is a Professor of Environment and Development at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and is the Head of the Department of Geography and Environment. He holds a Diplom in Economics from the Saarland University, a Master of Science in Development Studies from LSE and a PhD from the University of London. In 2003, he was awarded a Philip Leverhulme Prize in Geography. He is an Associate of the Center for the Study of Civil War at the Peace Research Institute Oslo.
He is the author of three books: Weak versus Strong Sustainability: Exploring the Limits of Two Opposing Paradigms, The pattern of aid giving: the impact of good governance on development assistance, and Greening trade and investment: environmental protection without protectionism. Together with Giles Atkinson and Simon Dietz, he is the editor of the Handbook of Sustainable Development.
Selected journal publications
- Conditional Spatial Policy Dependence: A Theoretical and Methodological Guide (with Thomas Plümper), Comparative Political Studies, 47 (5), 2012, pp. 819-849
- A Trend Analysis of Normalized Insured Damage from Natural Disasters (with Fabian Barthel), Climatic Change, 113 (2), 2012, pp. 215-237
- Normalizing Economic Loss from Natural Disasters: A Global Analysis (with Fabian Barthel), Global Environmental Change, 21 (1), 2011, pp. 13-24.
- Earthquake Propensity and the Politics of Mortality Prevention (with Philip Keefer and Thomas Plümper), World Development, 39 (9), 2011, pp. 1530-1541.
- Spatial Effects in Dyadic Data (with Thomas Plümper), International Organization, 64 (1), 2010, pp. 145-166.
- Model Specification in the Analysis of Spatial Dependence (with Thomas Plümper), European Journal of Political Research, 49 (3), 2010, pp. 418-442.
- International Terrorism and the Clash of Civilizations (with Thomas Plümper), British Journal of Political Science, 39 (4), 2009, pp. 711-734.
- Famine Mortality, International Food Aid and Rational Political Inactivity (with Thomas Plümper), World Development, 37 (1), 2009, pp. 50-61
- The Gendered Nature of Natural Disasters: The Impact of Catastrophic Events on the Gender Gap in Life Expectancy (with Thomas Plümper), Annals of the American Association of Geographers, 97 (3), 2007, pp. 551-566
- A Missed Opportunity: The Stern Review On Climate Change Fails to Tackle the Issue of Non-Substitutable Loss of Natural Capital, Global Environmental Change, 17 (3-4), 2007, pp. 297-301
- The Unequal Burden of War: The Effect of Armed Conflict on the Gender Gap in Life Expectancy (with Thomas Plümper), International Organization, 60 (3), 2006, 723-754
- Unequal Access to Foreign Spaces: How States Use Visa Restrictions to Regulate Mobility in a Globalised World, Transactions of the British Institute of Geographers, 31 (1), 2006, pp. 72-84
- International technological diffusion, latecomer advantage and economic globalization: a multi-technology analysis (with Richard Perkins), Annals of the American Association of Geographers, 95 (4), 2005, pp. 789-808
- False Prophet, or Genuine Savior? Assessing the Effects of Economic Openness on Sustainable Development, 1980-1999 (with Indra de Soysa), International Organization, 59 (3), 2005, pp. 731-772
- Do international human rights treaties improve respect for human rights?, Journal of Conflict Resolution, 49 (6), 2005, pp. 925-953
- Bogus Refugees? The Determinants of Asylum Migration to Western Europe, International Studies Quarterly, 49 (4), 2005, pp. 389-409
- Department of Geography and Environment
- Weak versus Strong Sustainability: Exploring the Limits of Two Opposing Paradigms
- The pattern of aid giving: the impact of good governance on development assistance
- Greening trade and investment: environmental protection without protectionism
- Handbook of Sustainable Development