|Born||Eric Ellis Overmyer
September 25, 1951
Boulder, Colorado, USA
|Occupation||Writer, television producer.|
Eric Ellis Overmyer (born September 25, 1951) is an American writer and producer. He has written and/or produced numerous TV shows, including St. Elsewhere, Homicide: Life on the Street, Law & Order, The Wire, New Amsterdam, and Treme.
Overmyer joined the crew of The Wire as a consulting producer and writer for the fourth season in 2006. He had previously worked with series creator David Simon on Homicide: Life on the Street where the two became friends. Overmyer wrote the teleplays for the episodes "Margin of Error" and "Misgivings". from stories he co-wrote with producer Ed Burns. Overmyer was hired to replace George Pelecanos as a full-time writer and producer. Simon has said that he was impressed with Overmyer's writing, particularly in synthesising the story for "Margin of Error" as the episode is the height of the show's political storyline but must also progress other plot threads. As a member of the fourth season writing staff, Overmyer has been credited as overseeing the domestic storyline of Jimmy McNulty and "smartly fleshing out" some of his key scenes. Overmyer left the crew at the end of the fourth season. Overmyer and the writing staff won the Writers Guild of America Award for Best Dramatic Series at the February 2008 ceremony and the 2007 Edgar Award for Best Television Feature/Mini-Series Teleplay for their work on the fourth season.
Overmyer collaborated with Simon again on the HBO drama Treme. They co-created the series which is about post-Katrina New Orleans. Overmyer lives part-time in New Orleans and used his experience in navigating the "ornate oral tradition" of the city's stories. The show focuses on a working-class neighborhood and is smaller in scope than The Wire. Production for the first season began in November 2009.
- Alki (adaption of Peer Gynt by Henrik Ibsen)
- Amphitryon (adaption of the play by Giraudoux and von Kleist respectively)
- Dark Rapture
- Don Quixote de La Jolla
- The Heliotrope Bouquet by Scott Joplin and Louis Chauvin
- In a Pig's Valise
- In Perpetuity Throughout the Universe
- Mi Vida Loca
- Native Speech
- On the Verge
|2008||Writers Guild of America Award||Outstanding Dramatic Series||Won||The Wire season 4||Shared with Ed Burns, Chris Collins, Kia Corthron, Dennis Lehane, David Mills, George Pelecanos, Richard Price, David Simon and William F. Zorzi|
|2007||Edgar Award||Best Television Feature/Mini-Series Teleplay||Won||Shared with Ed Burns, Kia Corthron, Dennis Lehane, David Mills, George Pelecanos, Richard Price, David Simon and William F. Zorzi|
- HBO. "Eric Overmyer on Treme". Retrieved May 25, 2010.
- "Reed College Notable Alumni - The Independents". Reed College. 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-14.
- "Season 4 crew". HBO. 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-14.
- "Exclusive David Simon Q&A". AOL. 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-14.
- "Episode guide - episode 43 Margin of Error". HBO. 2006. Retrieved 2006-10-09.
- Ed Burns, Eric Overmeyer (2004-10-15). "Margin of Error". The Wire. Season 4. Episode 6. HBO.
- "Episode guide - episode 47 Misgivings". HBO. 2006. Retrieved 2007-03-29.
- "Misgivings". The Wire. Season 4. Episode 10. 2004-11-19. HBO.
- "Curtains Receives Edgar Award Nomination". Theatre Mania.
- "2008 Writers Guild Awards Television & Radio Nominees Announced". WGA. 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-13.
- Margaret Talbot (2007). "Stealing Life". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2007-10-14.