|Punter / Placekicker|
|Date of birth:December 12, 1984|
|Place of birth: Winter Park, Florida|
|Undrafted in 2007|
|Debuted in 2010 for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics
|Stats at CFL.ca|
Eric Wilbur (born December 12, 1984) is an American professional football player who is currently a free agent. Wilbur played college football for the University of Florida. He was signed by the Houston Texans of the National Football League (NFL) as an undrafted free agent in 2007, and has also played for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL.
Wilbur was born in Winter Park, Florida. He attended Trinity Preparatory School in Winter Park, and played high school football for the Trinity Prep Saints. At Trinity, he played receiver, defensive back, returner, and kicker. He was selected as the number one kicker in the state of Florida and was ranked as the number seven prospect by SuperPrep. Following his senior season, he was chosen as first-team all-state kicker and was picked to play in the U. S. Army All-American Bowl.
Wilbur accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Ron Zook and coach Urban Meyer's Florida Gators football teams from 2003 to 2006.
As a freshman he ranked second in the Southeastern Conference (SEC) with 44.8 yards per punt which was the second highest in Florida's school history. He led all true freshman nationally and ranked eighth in the nation with his punt yardage average. Wilbur also tied the Florida record for most punts in a season. Against the Tennessee Volunteers, he kicked a 75-yard punt, which was a career high for him and was the fourth longest punt in school history. He was named a Freshman All-American by Rivals.com and a member of the Sporting News All-Freshman Team.
During his sophomore season, Wilbur was an Associated Press honorable mention All-SEC selection. He was also named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll and was named co-outstanding special teams player at the end of the year.
Wilbur ranked sixth nationally with an average of 41.4 yards per punt as a junior and his 56 punts were third behind Blake McAdams who had 69 for the Ole Miss and Britton Colquitt of Tennessee with 59. He collected 2,459 punt yards which was the highest in the SEC. His longest punt of the year was a 63-yarder against Iowa in the Outback Bowl. For the first time in his career, Wilbur handled the kickoffs against Wyoming.
National Football League
Wilbur was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars on August 8, 2007. He was then released twelve hours later. Wilbur was signed by the New York Jets on April 15, 2009. He was waived on June 10, 2009.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers
After Edmonton had signed non-import free agent punter Burke Dales, the club traded Wilbur to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for a conditional sixth round pick in the 2013 CFL Draft on February 23, 2012. On June 21, 2012, Wilbur was released by the Blue Bombers.
On September 6, 2012, Wilbur was signed by the Toronto Argonauts as a replacement for injured starting kicker Swayze Waters. After appearing in one game, Wilbur was released by the Argonauts on September 11, 2012.
Eric is married to the former Ali Peek, a sports reporter and University of Florida alumna.
- 2006 Florida Gators football team
- Florida Gators
- List of Florida Gators football players
- List of University of Florida alumni
- "Scout.com bio". Scout.com. Retrieved 2009-04-17.
- "Florida Gators bio". Florida Gators. Retrieved 2009-04-17.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 89, 97, 98, 99, 152–153, 186 (2011). Retrieved September 1, 2011.
- "Texans Sign Turk and Two rookies". Houston Texans. July 23, 2007. Retrieved 2009-04-16.[dead link]
- "Jags waive former Florida punter Wilbur after 1 practice". ESPN. August 8, 2007. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "Jets sign a punter; and SUNY Cortland appears to be the training camp winner". Newsday. April 15, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- http://www.ticats.ca/article/ticats-add-punter-eric-wilbur Ti-Cats add punter Eric Wilbur
- "UFL Transactions". OurSports Central. July 11, 2011. Retrieved July 11, 2011.
- Adding some leg: Eskimos sign Eric Wilbur
- Winnipeg acquires punter Eric Wilbur