June 21, 1984
Vila Velha, Espirito Santo, Brazil
|Residence||Vila Velha, Espirito Santo, Brazil|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||74.0 in (188 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Vila Velha, Espirito Santo, Brazil|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Black belt in Judo
Black Praijed in Muay Thai
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Erick Silva (born June 21, 1984) is a Brazilian mixed martial artist who competes in the welterweight division of the UFC. A professional MMA competitor since 2005, Silva has spent the majority of his career in Brazil, mostly fighting for Jungle Fight where he was the inaugural Welterweight champion.
Mixed martial arts career
Background and early career
Jungle Fight Championship
Silva joined Jungle Fight, appearing at Jungle Fight 9 against Carlos Eduardo dos Santos. In the third and final round, Silva defeated dos Santos via rear naked choke.
Silva then competed in one of the more unique fights in his career, at Jungle Fight 17, which was held outdoors. On the day of the event, the weather was clear throughout, until less than an hour before the start, when rain began to fall and never stopped. The event, which went down as one of the wettest in MMA history was not a successful one for Silva who hit his downed opponent with a knee, resulting in a no contest verdict.
Silva won his next fight, at Jungle Fight 21, via TKO (knee and punches) in the second round.
Silva then entered into the tournament for the inaugural Jungle Fight Welterweight Championship at Jungle Fight 23. Silva defeated both opponents on the same night to win the tournament. His opening round matchup was against Gil de Freitas. The opening round saw Silva utilize his striking game to take the first round, though de Freitas came back strongly in the second round with his takedowns and effective ground game. In the final round, Silva caught de Freitas with a roundhouse kick to the liver, dropping him. After Silva used ground-and-pound to set up a guillotine choke, de Freitas was forced to tapout.
Silva progressed to the tournament final, where he faced the Mexican, Francisco Ayon. Ayon had just come off a split decision victory in the semi-final and he wasn't able to mount any offense against Silva, who took him down. After hitting him with several punches, Silva locked in an arm triangle choke to force the tapout with just 67 seconds on the clock. Silva therefore became the inaugural Jungle Fight Welterweight champion.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Silva signed with the UFC in early 2011. He was expected to make his debut against Mike Swick at UFC 134. However, on August 4, 2011, it was announced that Swick had to withdraw from the bout due to a knee injury and was replaced by Luis Ramos. Silva won quickly via first round TKO due to punches.
Silva was expected to face promotional newcomer Siyar Bahadurzada on January 14, 2012 at UFC 142. However, Bahadurzada was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Carlo Prater. After missing a looping right hook in the opening seconds of the fight, Silva quickly followed with a left knee to the body which effectively knocked Prater down. Prater caught Silva's knee and held on to his leg as Silva began attacking with hammer fists and punches to the head. During the attack, the referee, Mario Yamasaki, repeatedly warned Silva not to hit the back of the head. When Prater appeared to go unconscious and could no longer intelligently defend himself, Yamasaki stepped in and stopped the fight. Although Silva appeared victorious, Yamasaki disqualified Silva for strikes to the back of the head. The disqualification was later upheld by the UFC. 
Silva faced Jon Fitch on October 13, 2012 at UFC 153 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. After three rounds, Silva lost the fight via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28). The performance earned both participants Fight of the Night honors.
Silva was expected to face John Hathaway on June 8, 2013 at UFC on Fuel TV 10. However, Hathaway was pulled from the bout in late April and replaced by Jason High, who was already scheduled on the card against Ildemar Alcantara. Silva won the fight via triangle armbar submission. The finished earned him his second Submission of the Night bonus.
Silva was expected to face returning veteran Nate Loughran on February 15, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 36. However, Loughran was forced out of the bout with an injury. Silva instead faced promotional newcomer Takenori Sato. He won the fight via TKO early in the first round. The win also earned him one of the first UFC Performance of the Night bonus awards.
Silva faced Matt Brown in the main event at UFC Fight Night 40. He lost the fight via TKO due to punches in the third round. Despite the loss, Silva was given a Fight of the Night bonus award for his performance.
Silva faced Mike Rhodes on December 20, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 58. He won the fight by technical submission in the first round. The win also earned Silva his second Performance of the Night bonus award.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Jungle Fight Championship
- Jungle Fight Welterweight Championship
- Jungle Fight Welterweight Tournament Champion
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|23 matches||17 wins||5 losses|
|Win||17–5 (1)||Mike Rhodes||Technical Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Dollaway||December 20, 2014||1||1:15||Barueri, Brazil||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||16–5 (1)||Matt Brown||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Brown vs. Silva||May 10, 2014||3||2:11||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||16–4 (1)||Takenori Sato||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Mousasi||February 15, 2014||1||0:52||Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||15–4 (1)||Dong Hyun Kim||KO (punch)||UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Shields||October 9, 2013||2||3:01||Barueri, Brazil|
|Win||15–3 (1)||Jason High||Submission (reverse triangle armbar)||UFC on Fuel TV: Nogueira vs. Werdum||June 8, 2013||1||1:11||Fortaleza, Brazil||Submission of the Night.|
|Loss||14–3 (1)||Jon Fitch||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 153||October 13, 2012||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||14–2 (1)||Charlie Brenneman||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall||June 8, 2012||1||4:33||Sunrise, Florida, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Loss||13–2 (1)||Carlo Prater||DQ (punches to back of head)||UFC 142||January 14, 2012||1||0:29||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||13–1 (1)||Luis Ramos||KO (punches)||UFC 134||August 27, 2011||1||0:40||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||12–1 (1)||Francisco Ayon||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Jungle Fight 23||October 30, 2010||1||1:07||Belém, Brazil||Won inaugural Jungle Fight Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||11–1 (1)||Gil de Freitas||Submission (guillotine choke)||Jungle Fight 23||October 30, 2010||3||0:57||Belém, Brazil||Jungle Fight Welterweight Championship Tournament Semifinal.|
|Win||10–1 (1)||Jose de Ribamar||KO (knee and punches)||Jungle Fight 21||July 31, 2010||2||3:39||Natal, Brazil|
|NC||9–1 (1)||Henrique Oliveira||NC (illegal knee to a downed opponent)||Jungle Fight 17: Vila Velha||February 27, 2010||2||3:57||Vila Velha, Brazil|
|Win||9–1||Jorge Luis Bezerra||Decision (unanimous)||Jungle Fight 15||September 19, 2009||3||5:00||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||8–1||Carlos Villamor||Submission (kneebar)||Jungle Fight 14: Ceará||May 9, 2009||2||3:38||Fortaleza, Brazil|
|Win||7–1||Igor Fernandes||Decision (unanimous)||Jungle Fight 11||September 13, 2008||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||6–1||Carlos Eduardo Santos||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Jungle Fight 9: Warriors||May 31, 2008||3||N/A||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||5–1||Fabio Issa||Decision (unanimous)||Open Fight||August 4, 2007||N/A||N/A||Brazil|
|Loss||4–1||Mario Neto||Decision (unanimous)||Superfight Vitoria||December 10, 2006||3||5:00||Brazil|
|Win||4–0||Leandro Zumbi||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||MMA: Kombat Espirito Santo||November 25, 2006||1||3:05||Vila Velha, Brazil|
|Win||3–0||Henrique Lango||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Guarafight 3||August 12, 2006||1||N/A||Guarapari, Brazil|
|Win||2–0||Julian Soares||KO (punch)||Guarafight 2||January 7, 2006||1||2:30||Guarapari, Brazil|
|Win||1–0||Fabiano Mastodonte||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Guarafight 1||June 4, 2005||1||2:02||Guarapari, Brazil|
- "Erick Silva - Official UFC Fighter Profile". ufc.com. November 17, 2013.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Machida vs. Dollaway". UFC.com. Retrieved December 21, 2014.
- "Bad Boy Enters Multi-Year Agreement with Erick Silva". badboy.com. June 6, 2012.
- "Hot prospect Erick Silva wins Jungle Fight title in Belem". sherdog.com. October 31, 2010.
- "Erick Silva". sherdog.com. November 5, 2010.
- "Jungle Fight 9 - Warriors". sherdog.com. May 31, 2008.
- "Jungle Fight 11 Pictures: Erick Silva vs. Igor Santos". sherdog.com. September 18, 2008.
- "Rain falls on Jungle Fight 17; Mondragon loses". sherdog.com. February 28, 2010.
- "Pictures: Jungle Fight 21: Erick Silva vs. Jose Gomes de Ribamar". sherdog.com. August 11, 2010.
- "Luis Ramos replaces Mike Swick, fights Erick Silva at UFC Rio". tatame.com. August 5, 2011.
- "Siyar Bahadurzada: I'm facing Erick Silva at UFC 142 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. November 14, 2011.
- "WEC vet Carlo Prater meets Erick Silva as injury replacement at UFC 142". mmajunkie.com. December 16, 2011.
- "UFC makes ruling on Erick Silva's UFC 142 disqualification: The loss stands". mmajunkie.com. January 19, 2012.
- "American Silva next faced Charile Brenneman". sport.tv.globo.com. 2012-03-30.
- "Jay Hieron vs. Erick Silva added to February's UFC 156 event". MMAjunkie.com. November 21, 2012.
- "Tyron Woodley replaces injured Erick Silva, faces Jay Hieron at UFC 156". MMAjunkie.com. January 2, 2013.
- Mookie Alexander (March 7, 2013). "Erick Silva fights John Hathaway at TUF Brazil 2 Finale on June 8th". bloodyelbow.com.
- Staff (2013-04-25). "Jason High replaces John Hathaway, meets Erick Silva at UFC on FUEL TV 10". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- Guilherme Cruz (2013-08-07). "Erick Silva will fight Dong Hyun Kim at UFC Fight Night 29". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- Ivan Raupp (2013-12-10). "Erick Silva enfrenta Nate Loughran no UFC de Jaraguá do Sul em fevereiro (Brazilian Portuguese)". sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- John Morgan (2014-01-04). "Nate Loughran out at UFC Fight Night 36, promotion seeks new opponent for Erick Silva". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- Ivan Raupp (2013-12-11). "Campeão do Pancrase é contratado pelo UFC e estreia contra Erick Silva (Brazilian Portuguese)". sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2013-12-11.
- Staff (2014-02-16). "UFC Fight Night 36 bonuses: Silva, Oliveira earn first 'performance' bonuses". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Staff (2014-03-03). "Matt Brown vs. Erick Silva headlines UFC Fight Night 40 in Cincinnati". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- Staff (2014-05-11). "UFC Fight Night 40 bonuses: Matt Brown scoops up $100K". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-10-21). "Erick Silva returns at UFC Fight Night 58 against Mike Rhodes". mmafighting.com.
- Staff (December 21, 2014). "UFC Fight Night 58 bonuses: Machida, Barao, Silva, Miranda win $50,000". mmajunkie.com.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-01-22). "Ben Saunders vs. Erick Silva added to UFC Fight Night 62 in Rio de Janeiro". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-01-22.