Program Guide in Mediaroom
|Developer(s)||Microsoft and Ericsson|
|Initial release||July 2007|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows
|Platform||Set Top Box
Windows Phone 7
Ericsson Mediaroom is an end-to-end IPTV platform originally developed by Microsoft and acquired by Ericsson in September 2013. According to research by the Multimedia Research Group, it is the global market leader in its sector. It enables pay TV operators worldwide to deliver TV services to multiple screens and connected devices inside and outside customers' homes.
Ericsson Mediaroom is a full-featured video platform for operators to deliver an IPTV-based Pay-TV subscription services including content-protected live, DVR, video on demand, and applications. These services can be delivered to the consumers on a range of devices inside and outside the home, including wired and WiFi set top boxes, Xbox 360, PCs, tablets, smartphones and other connected devices - over both operator's managed IP networks as well as Over The Top (OTT)/unmanaged networks.
History and deployments
Originally launched as the Microsoft TV which included the Foundation Edition, the IPTV platform was named Microsoft Mediaroom and announced in June 2007 at the NXTcomm conference. In January 2010, Microsoft Mediaroom 2.0 was announced at the International Consumer Electronics Show. As of November 2012, more than 11 million households, reaching more than 22 million set-top boxes through more than 40 global Operator partners, making it the most widely deployed commercial IPTV middleware platform. Mediaroom enabled TV services are available on a range of screens and devices inside and outside the home, including the TV via wired and wireless set-top boxes, Xbox 360, PCs, tablets and smartphones.
On April 8, 2013, Microsoft and Ericsson announced plans for Ericsson to purchase Mediaroom. The sale was completed on September 5, 2013 and officially became Ericsson Mediaroom.
- Windows Media Center
- Interactive television
- Smart TV
- List of notable Smart TV platforms and middleware software
- 10-foot user interface
- Set-top box
- "Microsoft named as leader of two global IPTV segments". IPTV News. November 2012. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "A tour of Microsoft Mediaroom, Mediaroom is Microsoft's new IPTV and multimedia platform". Ars Technica. June 2007. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Microsoft Unites Software and Cloud Services to Power New TV Experiences, Version 2.0 of award-winning Mediaroom TV platform enables subscription TV providers to deliver more entertainment content to more types of screens, using a single cloud-based infrastructure". PR News Wire. January 2010. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- "Microsoft Launches Version 2.0 of its Mediaroom IPTV Platform". Interactive TV Today. January 2010. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Telefónica ushers in the next phase of IP video delivery on a global scale". IPTV News. November 2012. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Microsoft now controls nearly a quarter of the global IPTV middleware market". IPTV News. November 2012. Retrieved 2 January 2013.