|Born||29 November 1924|
|Died||19 November 2005(aged 80)|
|Years active||1952 – 1984|
His feature film Qivitoq (1956) was nominated for a Golden Palm at the 1957 Cannes Film Festival, and for an Oscar as Best Foreign Language Film. His 1962 film Den kære familie was entered into the 3rd Moscow International Film Festival.
Balling started working for the largest and oldest Danish film production company, Nordisk Films Kompagni, in 1946. He later became the boss of the company.
His made his directing debut with Adam & Eva (1953), which was nominated for a Bodil-award as Best Film.
In 1956 he directed Kispus, which was the first Danish movie filmed in color.
The most popular films directed by Balling were the feature film comedies about a trio of small-time crooks, the Olsen Gang. There were 13 episodes of this movie series between 1968 and 1981, starting with Olsen-banden. They were remade in several languages.
In 1998, Erik Balling received an Honorary Robert Award.
||This article is incomplete. (February 2009)|
- 1952: Vi arme syndere
- 1953: Adam and Eve
- 1956: Qivitoq
- 1956: Kispus
- 1958: The Poet and the Little Mother
- 1960: Poeten og Lillemor og Lotte
- 1960: Faith, Hope and Witchcraft
- 1961: Poeten og Lillemor i forårshumør
- 1962: Den kære familie
- 1963: Hvis lille pige er du?
- 1964: Death Comes at High Noon
- 1965: Operation Lovebirds aka Sla forst, Frede!
- 1966: Relax Freddie
- 1967: I Belong to Me
- 1968-81: Olsen Gang series
- 1984: Midt om natten
- "Festival de Cannes: Qivitoq". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- "The 29th Academy Awards (1957) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "3rd Moscow International Film Festival (1963)". MIFF. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "Erik Balling er død, 80 år" (in Danish). Danmarks Radio. 19 November 2005. Retrieved 23 December 2010.