Erik De Vlaeminck
||This biographical article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (December 2013)|
|Full name||Erik De Vlaeminck|
23 March 1945 |
|Infobox last updated on
14 July 2008
The spelling "Eric" rather than "Erik" is the French version of his name. He prefers Erik.
He became cyclo-cross world-champion seven times (in 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973), a record. He missed 1967 only because his bike was damaged during the race. He also became Belgian champion four times (1967, 1969, 1971, 1972) at a time when there were so many good Belgian riders that the domestic championship was often harder than the world-championship.
De Vlaeminck never failed a drugs test in his racing career but was treated after it for amphetamine addiction. Many stories circulate about his supposed wild behaviour after races and after his career was over. When he returned to racing, the Belgian federation would offer him a licence for only a day at a time until it saw how his life would progress. De Vlaeminck refuses to speak of this period of his life.
His re-establishment was complete, however, because he became the national cyclo-cross coach and led Belgium to a dominating period of international success. He always complained, however, that while cyclo-cross brought Belgium its world championship medals, it was to road racing that the bulk of the funds were given.
De Vlaeminck's son Geert died of a heart attack in a cyclo-cross race while his father was watching.
- World champion in cyclo-cross: 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973 (3rd: 1977)
- Belgian National Cyclo-cross Champion: 1967, 1969, 1971, 1972 (2nd: 1975, 1977)
- Cyclo-cross Champion of Hainaut de : 1975
- Cyclo-cross of Waasmunster: 1970 (provincial championship)
- Flemish champion cyclo racing: 1969
- Tour of Belgium: 1969
- Paris-Luxembourg: 1970
- Tour of East Flanders: 1969, 1970
- Circuit of the Flemish Ardennes: 1969 (3rd: 1977)
- Winner, Stage 2 of the 1968 Tour de France
- 2nd in the La Flèche Wallonne: 1969 (3rd: 1970)
- Erik De Vlaeminck profile at Cycling Archives
- Official Tour de France results for Erik De Vlaeminck