Karlsson in November 2011.
May 31, 1990 |
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||82 kg (181 lb; 12 st 13 lb)|
|NHL Draft||15th overall, 2008
Erik Karlsson (born May 31, 1990) is a Swedish professional ice hockey player. Karlsson is a member of the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was selected 15th overall by the Senators in the first round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. Karlsson was the 2012 winner of the James Norris Memorial Trophy as the NHL's best defenceman.
Karlsson made his Elitserien debut for Frölunda HC on March 1, 2008, recording 8:48 of ice time during a sold out home game in Scandinavium, against league leaders HV71. Karlsson scored the game-winning goal, assisted by Tomi Kallio and Magnus Kahnberg, with a slapshot off a faceoff, in overtime during a man advantage. The win secured a playoff berth for Frölunda with three games remaining of the regular season.
Karlsson finished the season with Frölunda's J20 team playing in the J20 SuperElit playoffs, where Frölunda took home the Anton Cup when they won two to one in games against Brynäs IF in the Swedish Junior Ice Hockey Championship final.
Prior to the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Karlsson was ranked fourth among European skaters by the NHL's Central Scouting Service. He was drafted 15th overall by the Ottawa Senators, in front of their hometown fans at Scotiabank Place in Ottawa, Ontario. The selection was made by Ottawa's captain Daniel Alfredsson, a native of Gothenburg, who played for Frölunda before entering the NHL. Ottawa's general manager, Bryan Murray, traded Ottawa's first round pick, 18th overall, and their third round pick in 2009 to the Nashville Predators for the Predators' first round pick, 15th overall, to ensure that no other team would pick Karlsson before them.
In September 2009, Karlsson attended the Ottawa Senators training camp with a chance at joining the squad even at junior age. On September 29, 2009, the Senators announced that Karlsson had made the team's roster and would start the 2009–10 season in Ottawa. However, after struggling in nine regular season games with Ottawa, Karlsson was assigned to the Binghamton Senators. On November 27, 2009, exactly a month after being sent down, Karlsson was recalled from Binghamton. He would score his first NHL goal against Minnesota's Niklas Bäckström in a 4–1 win for Ottawa on December 19, 2009, and remain in the NHL for the remainder of the season and play in all of Ottawa's playoff games.
The 2011–12 season saw Karlsson continue his development. On December 16, 2011, with his third assist of the night, Karlsson registered his 100th regular season NHL point (in 168 games) in a game against the rival Pittsburgh Penguins. Karlsson was the NHL's leading vote-getter in All-Star voting, receiving 939,951 fan votes and becoming one of four Senators' players selected to partake in the 59th National Hockey League All-Star Game. Karlsson finished the season as the leading scorer among NHL defensemen, leading second place Dustin Byfuglien and Brian Campbell by 25 points. Karlsson was being mentioned as a Norris Trophy candidate, if not the favorite for the award.
On June 19, 2012, Karlsson signed a seven-year contract extension with the Senators worth a reported $45.5 million.
On June 20, 2012, Karlsson was announced as the winner of the James Norris Memorial Trophy as the NHL's best defenceman, beating Zdeno Chára of the Boston Bruins and Shea Weber of the Nashville Predators. He became the second Swede to win the award (after 7 time winner Nicklas Lidström), joining the ranks of Hall of Famers Bobby Orr and Denis Potvin as the only players to win the award under the age of 23.
During the 2012–13 NHL lockout Karlsson signed with Jokerit of the Finnish SM-liiga. He received a one game suspension for allegedly throwing his stick at a referee following a game on December 8, 2012. He finished his stint in Jokerit with 9 goals and 25 assists (34 points) in 30 games, leading all defencemen in scoring. Once the lockout ended and the NHL season commenced, Karlsson promptly recorded a goal and two assists as Ottawa defeated the Winnipeg Jets 4–1 in their season opener. On February 13, 2013, Karlsson's Achilles tendon was lacerated when Pittsburgh Penguins' forward Matt Cooke had his skate inadvertently land on the back of Karlsson's left leg, requiring surgery and taking him out of Ottawa's lineup indefinitely. Cooke has been suspended several times in the past for much criticized incidents resulting in injury to opposing players, but was not suspended for this incident. At the time of the injury, Karlsson led all NHL defencemen with six goals. Though initial estimates had him out of the lineup for 4 – 6 months, Karlsson returned to the Ottawa lineup against the Washington Capitals on April 25, 2013, ten weeks to the day after the injury occurred.
|Men's ice hockey|
|Competitor for Sweden|
|World Junior Championships|
Karlsson was selected as the tournament's best defenceman at the 2008 IIHF World U18 Championships. He was the tournament's plus/minus leader with a plus eight rating, and he led team Sweden in assists, finishing third overall in the tournament, with seven in six games, which also tied him for first place in defencemen scoring. During the 2008 U20 4-Nations tournament which Sweden won, Karlsson scored one goal and one assist which tied him with David Rundblad, Viktor Ekbom and Tim Erixon as Sweden's defenceman scoring leader. At the 2009 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships Karlsson was selected to the all-star team, and as the tournament's best defenceman. With two goals and seven assists in six games he led all Swedish players in points, and was tied for the tournament lead among defencemen.
Karlsson tied for 4th in team scoring with Senators teammate Daniel Alfredsson at the 2012 World Championship with 7 points and led all Swedish defensemen in that category. He also finished tied for 5th in points and tied 3rd in goals by defensemen overall in the tournament.
At the 2014 Olympic Tournament held in Sochi, Karlsson led all players with 8 points and was tied for second in goals. On February 21, 2014, Karlsson's scored a powerplay goal in the semi-final against Finland to earn Team Sweden a spot in the Gold Medal Final against Canada. The Swedes would later lose in the final by a score of 3-0. Along with a Silver Medal, Karlsson was named the Best Defenseman of the tournament and was selected to the All-Star team.
Regular season and playoffs
|2008||Sweden Jr.||WJC U18||6||0||7||7||4|
|Junior int'l totals||35||6||22||28||4|
|Senior int'l totals||24||8||11||19||4|
Style of play
Karlsson is an offensive defenceman.
|WJC U18 Best Defenceman||2008|
|WJC All-Star Team||2009|
|WJC Best Defenceman||2009|
|Olympic All-Star Team||2014|
|Olympic Best Defenceman||2014|
|NHL All-Star Game||2011, 2012|
|James Norris Memorial Trophy||2012|
|NHL First All-Star Team||2012|
Records and achievements
- Played his first NHL regular season game on October 3, 2009, against the New York Rangers, and also recorded his first NHL point, an assist.
- Scored his first NHL goal on December 19, 2009, against Niklas Bäckström of the Minnesota Wild.
- Awarded the 2011–12 James Norris Memorial Trophy as the NHL's top defenceman on June 20, 2012.
- Silver medal at 2014 Sochi Olympics.
- In 2011–12, Karlsson set a new Senators' franchise record for points in a season by a defenceman (previously held by Norm Maciver) with 78. In the same season he tied Steve Duchesne for the Senators franchise record for most goals in a season by a defenseman with 19.
- "European Skaters". National Hockey League. 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-03.
- Gyllander, Peter (2008-08-25). "#65 Erik Karlsson till A-truppen" (in Swedish). Frölunda HC. Retrieved 2008-09-04.
- "Battle just beginning for new Sens". cbssportsline.com. 2009-01-08. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- Brodie, Rob (2011-01-11). "Karlsson eager to shine with NHL's brightest stars". Ottawa Senators. Retrieved 2011-01-12.
- Nordström, Gunnar (2011-12-17). "Sex poäng av Ottawas svenskduo - NHL - Allt om NHL, svenskarna och stjärnorna!". Expressen (in Swedish). Retrieved 2011-12-17.
- http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7427747/2012-nhl-all-star-game-starters-four-ottawa-senators-one-toronto-maple-leaf-one-boston-bruin Fans vote in four Senators All-Stars
- Pang gets Sens fans all a Twitter http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2012/03/28/19558946.html
- Ottawa Senators defenseman Erik Karlsson, Norris Trophy favorite http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ottawa-senators-defenseman-erik-karlsson-norris-trophy-favorite-162445645.html
- http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398747 SENATORS AGREE WITH D KARLSSON ON SEVEN-YEAR EXTENSION
- Erik Karlsson suspended 1 game for 'throwing' stick at refs http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21391566/erik-karlsson-suspended-1-game-for-throwing-stick-at-refs
- KARLSSON LEADS SENATORS OVER JETS IN SEASON OPENER http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413985
- Erik Karlsson needs surgery after skate cuts Achilles http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2013/02/13/ottawa-defenseman-karlsson-cut-by-skate/1918333/
- Did You See That? Erik Karlsson's devastating injury http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/02/did-you-see-that-erik-karlssons-devastating-injury.html
- Senators fall to Penguins, lose Erik Karlsson indefinitely http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/game/1289377/recap
- Penguins’ Matt Cooke suspended for rest of season http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2011/03/21/penguins_matt_cooke_suspended_for_rest_of_season.html
- Erik Karlsson needs Achilles surgery http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8945810/erik-karlsson-ottawa-senators-needs-achilles-surgery-suffering-cut-skate
- KARLSSON RETURNS AS SENATORS LOOK TO CLINCH AGAINST CAPITALS http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=421652
- "BEST PLAYERS SELECTED BY THE DIRECTORATE" (PDF). IIHF. 2008-04-23. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- "PLUS-MINUS LEADERS" (PDF). International Ice Hockey Federation. 2008-04-23. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- "ASSIST LEADERS" (PDF). International Ice Hockey Federation. 2008-04-23. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- "DEFENSEMEN SCORING LEADERS" (PDF). International Ice Hockey Federation. 2008-04-23. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- "Players By Team" (PDF). Swedish Ice Hockey Association. 2008-11-09. Retrieved 2008-11-10.[dead link]
- "MEDIA ALL STARS" (PDF). International Ice Hockey Federation. 2009-01-06. Retrieved 2009-01-06.
- "BEST PLAYERS SELECTED BY THE DIRECTORATE" (PDF). International Ice Hockey Federation. 2009-01-06. Retrieved 2009-01-06.
- "PLAYER STATISTICS BY TEAM" (PDF). International Ice Hockey Federation. 2009-01-06. Retrieved 2009-01-06.
- "DEFENSEMEN SCORING LEADERS" (PDF). International Ice Hockey Federation. 2009-01-06. Retrieved 2009-01-06.
- "IIHF World Championship Defensemen Scoring Leaders". IIHF.com. 23 May 2010.
- "Selanne MVP, Awards for Price, Karlsson, Kessel". IIHF.com. 23 February 2014.
- Garrioch, Bruce (2012-03-17). "Bobby Orr a big Karlsson booster". Ottawa Sun.
- Erik Karlsson's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Erik Karlsson's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Erik Karlsson – player profile and career stats at European Hockey.Net
- Erik Karlsson's player profile at NHL.com
|Awards and achievements|
|Winner of the Viking Award
|Winner of the James Norris Memorial Trophy
P. K. Subban
|Ottawa Senators first round draft pick