Erik Martin Dilan
|Member of the New York City Council's 37th District|
January 1, 2002 – December 31, 2013
|Preceded by||Martin Dilan|
|Succeeded by||Rafael Espinal|
|Born||May 11, 1974|
|Alma mater||St. John’s University|
|Profession||business consultant and manager|
|Religion||United Methodist Church|
Early life, education, and early career
He was a member of Community School Board 32.
New York City Council
In 2001, incumbent Democrat NYC Councilman Martin Malave Dilan of the 37th Council District decided to retire in order to run for the New York Senate. His son Erik decided to run for his father's seat. He won the Democratic primary with a plurality of 33% of the vote. In the general election, Dilan won the seat with 87% and defeated three third party candidates. In 2003, he was challenged in the Democratic primary by just one candidate, State Senator Nellie Santiago, and defeated her 65%-35%. He won re-election to second term with 92% of the vote. In 2005, he was unopposed in the primary and won re-election to a third term with 84% of the vote. In 2007, he wasn't challenged at all to win a fourth term. In 2009, won re-election to a fifth term with 87% of the vote.
He was chair of the Council's Housing & Buildings Committee, while also serving on the Rules, Privileges & Elections, Zoning & Franchises, and Rules committees.
2012 congressional election
After redistricting, he decided to challenge incumbent Democrat U.S. Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez (D-Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY). He said “We’ve had an incumbent who has been there for 20 years and she’s done little with the post. She’s going to have to justify after 20 years of nothing, why she should remain in office.”
- "New York City Council - Council Member - District: 37". Council.nyc.gov. 1974-05-11. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "NYC Council 37 - D Primary Race - Sep 25, 2001". Our Campaigns. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "New York City Council 37 Race - Nov 06, 2001". Our Campaigns. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "NYC Council 37 - D Primary Race - Sep 09, 2003". Our Campaigns. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "New York City Council 37 Race - Nov 04, 2003". Our Campaigns. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "New York City Council 37 Race - Nov 08, 2005". Our Campaigns. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "New York City Council 37 Race - Nov 03, 2009". Our Campaigns. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Short, Aaron. "Dilan to oppose Velazquez for House • The Brooklyn Paper". Brooklynpaper.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Official NYC Council Website about Erik Martin Dilan
- 2005 NYC Voter Guide: Candidate Profile: Erik Martin Dilan
- Council Priorities: The new City Council Speaker doles out some surprising assignments
Martin Malave Dilan
|New York City Council, 37th District