Erik Meijer (politician)
Erik Meijer (born on 5 December 1944 in Amsterdam) is a Dutch politician and Member of the European Parliament with the Dutch Socialist Party, part of the European Left and sits on the European Parliament's Committee on Transport and Tourism.
In 1999 European Parliament elections Meijer won the first seat for the SP in the European Parliament.
Born in 1944, Erik, who lives in Rotterdam, studied social geography and later taught geography before becoming a civil servant. Politically active since the beginning of the 1960s, including as an executive member of Socialist Youth (SJ), in the `70s he was elected to represent the Pacifist Socialist Party (PSP) on Amsterdam City Council. During this period he led the Proletarian Left within the PSP, which later split to form what now is Socialist Alternative Politics. Meijer stayed within the PSP. From 1982 to 1995 he served as a Provincial Councillor in South Holland, having been elected on a combined PSP-CPN-PPR ticket. Following the formation of the Green Left, which united these tendencies, he became the party’s national vice-chair, a position which he held until 1995.
At the beginning of 1996, Erik Meijer left Green Left for the SP. In 1998 he became chair of the SP branch in Delfshaven, Rotterdam’s poorest district, where he lives, at the same time working to build up the party’s European contacts.
In the European Parliament the SP forms part of the United Left Group (GUE-NGL). The party’s priority is resistance to the development of a European Superstate too far removed from the people and too closely attached to the interests of European multinationals.
His comments in the Skopje daily Utrinski Vesnik on 14 January 2008 drew the ire of readers in the Republic of Macedonia. He said that the country should tear down statues of the ancient Macedonian conqueror Alexander the Great erected on its territory and agree to a name change in its bilateral dispute with Greece.
- 1972: Higher degree in social geography
- 1961-1969: Member of executive, Socialist Youth and Student Organisations
- 1968-1991: Has held office at national level in the PSP (Pacifist Socialist Party) (Vice-chairman of the Chairman of elected representatives' section, editor of party magazine)
- 1971-1975: Geography teacher, senior secondary and pre-university education
- 1975-1978: Member of Amsterdam City Council
- 1980-1992: Local government official, Rotterdam City Council
- 1982-1995: Member of the South Holland Provincial Council
- 1990-1993: Member of executive, Citizenship Foundation
- 1992-1995: Member of executive and Vice-Chairman of the GroenLinks
- 1995-1998: Chairman of the Spangen (Rotterdam) Residents' Association
- 1995-1999: Chairman of the Stichting Ontwikkelbank Centrum (Foundation for the Promotion of Central Rotterdam)
- since 1999: Member of Socialist Party executive
- 1998-2002: Member of the Delfshaven District Council
- since 1999: Member of the European Parliament
- "Името го засени политичкиот дијалог во ЕУ". Утрински Весник. 2008-01-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Erik Meijer (politician).|
- Official website of Erik Meijer: europa.sp.nl
- Official websiteat the EP group: www.europarl.eu.int/gue/tree/gstruct/en/members/meijer.htm
- European Parliament biography of Erik Meijer (incl. Speeches, Questions and Motions)
- Declaration (PDF) of financial interests (Dutch)