Erminio "Mimo" Costa (1924, Cagliari, Italy - 2009, Washington, D.C., USA) was a neuroscientist. His research interests covered brain serotonergic activity in health and disease, benzodiazepine-GABA interactions, benzodiazepine action at GABAA receptors, and GABAergic dysfunction and changes in the expression of reelin and GAD67 in schizophrenia. He published more than 1000 articles. The June 2011 issue of the journal Neuropharmacology was dedicated to him.
- July, 1947 - M.D. 110/110 cum laude, University of Cagliari, Italy
- 1950-1960 - Thudichum Psychiatric Research Laboratory, Galesburg Research Hospital, Galesburg, Illinois
- 1960-1965 - Deputy Chief, Laboratory of Chemical Pharmacology at NHLI - NIH, Bethesda, Maryland
- 1965-1968 - Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Neurology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, NY
- 1968-1985 - Chief of the Laboratory of Preclinical Pharmacology, NIMH, St. Elizabeths Hospital, Washington, DC
- 1985-1994 - Director and Founder, Institute of Neuroscience, and Professor of Pharmacology, Georgetown University, Washington, DC
- 1994-1995 - Director, Center for Neuropharmacology, Nathan Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, New York University, New York, NY
- 1995 - Scientific Director, Psychiatric Institute, Professor of Biochemistry in Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- 1982 - Member, National Academy of Sciences
- 1991 - Member of "Accademia dei Lincei" founded by Galileo Galilei in 1602, Rome
- Advances in Biochemical Psychopharmacology (1969)
- Biochemistry and Pharmacology of the Basal Ganglia (1966)
- Biochemistry of Simple Neuronal Models (1970)
- Neurosteroids and Brain Function (1991)
- The Endorphins - Vol. 18 (1985)
- ^ Grayson, D. R.; Guidotti, A. (2010). "Erminio Costa". Neuropsychopharmacology 35 (13): 2646. doi:10.1038/npp.2009.231.
- ^ Clayton, Paula J.; Fatemi, S. Hossein (2008). The medical basis of psychiatry. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press. ISBN 1-58829-917-1.
- ^ Barondes, Samuel H. (2003). Better than Prozac: Creating the next generation of psychiatric drugs. Oxford [Oxfordshire]: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-515130-5.
- ^ Costa E, Chen Y, Davis J, Dong E, Noh JS, Tremolizzo L, Veldic M, Grayson DR, Guidotti A (February 2002). "REELIN and schizophrenia: a disease at the interface of the genome and the epigenome". Mol. Interv. 2 (1): 47–57. doi:10.1124/mi.2.1.47. PMID 14993361.
- ^ "UIC, Dept. of Psychiatry News: Erminio Costa, M.D., Logs 1,000th Publication". Archived from the original on 30 April 2004.
- ^ Bloom FE (June 2011). "Mentored and inspired by Mimo: a tribute to Erminio Costa". Neuropharmacology 60 (7-8): 1003–6. doi:10.1016/j.neuropharm.2010.09.019. PMID 20869374.