|• Total||3,032 km2 (1,171 sq mi)|
|Elevation||4 m (13 ft)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Ernakulam|
Ernakulam pronunciation (help·info)) refers to the eastern, mainland portion of the twin cities of Ernakulam - Kochi in central Kerala, India. The city is the most urban part of Kochi and has lent its name to the Ernakulam district. Ernakulam is called the commercial capital of the state of Kerala. The Kerala High Court, the Office of the Corporation of Cochin and the Cochin Stock Exchange are situated here. Initially, Ernakulam was the headquarters of the Ernakulam District but was later shifted to Kakkanad. Ernakulam was once the capital of the Kingdom of Cochin. It is located 220 kilometres (137 mi) towards north-west of the state capital Thiruvananthapuram.
The city has served as an incubator for many Malayali entrepreneurs and is a major financial and commercial hub of Kerala.
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Economy
- 4 Politics
- 5 Transport
- 6 Entertainment
- 7 Media
- 8 Religious
- 9 Landmarks/Tourist Spots
- 10 Education
- 11 Emergency
- 12 See also
- 13 References
- 14 External links
Starting from the Stone Age, Ernakulam has been the site of human settlement. Monolithic monuments like Dolmens and rock-cut caves can be seen in many parts of Ernakulam. Ernakulam is also known as the "Queen Of Arabian Sea".
The region can claim to have played a significant part in fostering the trade relations between Kerala and the outside world in the ancient and medieval period. The early political history of Ernakulam is interlinked with that of the Chera Dynasty of the Sangam age, who ruled over vast portions of Kerala and Tamil Nadu. After the Cheras, the place was later ruled by the Kingdom of Cochin (Perumpadapu Swaroopam).
Under the Köppen climate classification, City of Ernakulam features a Tropical monsoon climate. Since the region lies in the south western coastal state of Kerala, the climate is tropical, with only minor differences in temperatures between day and night, as well as over the year. Summer lasts from March to May, and is followed by the South-west monsoon from June to September. October and November form the post monsoon or retreating monsoon season. Winter from December through February is slightly cooler, and windy, due to winds from the Western Ghats.
The City is drained in the monsoonal season by heavy showers. The average annual rainfall is 3000 mm. The South-west monsoon generally sets in during the last week of May. After July the rainfall decreases. On an average, there are 124 rainy days in a year. The maximum average temperature of the City in the summer season is 33 degree Celsius while the minimum temperature recorded is 22.5 degrees Celsius. The winter season records a maximum average of 29 degree Celsius and a minimum average of 20 degree Celsius.
Ernakulam is a major financial and commercial hub of Kerala. The Cochin Port, Cochin Shipyard has resulted in the faster growth of the city. The technology park InfoPark, Kochi is on the outskirts of the city.Tourism has also contributed heavily to the economy of Ernakulam. The city with its temples, old churches and its culture, is ranked first in the number of domestic tourists visiting Kerala.
Vytilla Mobility hub, caters to the transportation needs of the city. Ernakulam is well served by private/government buses, autorickshaws, long and short distance trains and ferries. Ernakulam has a number of jetties where passengers can embark and disembark from ferries. Travelling via ferries is cheaper and faster than travelling by buses and/or autos. The main jetty is called the Ernakulam jetty from where one can board a ferry to Vypin, Fort Kochi and Willingdon Island.
Ernakulam is connected to the North-South Corridor National Highway System via the four-laned National Highway 47. The highway traverses through the entire length and breadth of the city from different points and provides access to the nearby cities such of Thrissur, Palakkad and Coimbatore. NH 47 provides two main exit points at Edapally and Vytilla to the Ernakulam city. The city is largely dependent on city buses, Taxis and auto rickshaws (called autos) for public transport. State-owned Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) runs inter-state, inter-district and city services. The National Highway 17, National Highway 49, Main Central Road, State Highways are the roads which connect city with its suburbs and municipalities. Major Roads — M. G. Road, Broadway and Marine drive walkway, Banerjee Road, Shanmugham Road, Sahodaran Ayyappan Road, Kaloor-Kadavanthara Road.
Ernakulam Junction Railway Station is the one of the busiest railway station in Kerala. Ernakulam railway stations is located close to the town's main shopping area situated on MG Road. The Southern Railway Zone of the Indian Railways operates the main rail transport system in Ernakulam. There are two railway stations in Ernakulam City. Ernakulam Town railway station, it is situated in the northern part of the city and the stopping point for trains going towards mainly to Kottayam side in the south. Ernakulam Junction Railway Station, it is a junction and departuring station of passengers, express trains, the stopping point for trains going towards south side Alappuzha. The Station also has a Train Care Centre in its premises. 21 trains originates from Ernakulam Junction. There is also a small railway station at Edappally.
Ernakulam city is served by Cochin International Airport (Nedumbassery), which is about 27 kilometers away. Direct domestic flights are available to major Indian cities like New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad and Kolkata. International flights to Middle East cities like Bahrain, Muscat, Sharjah, Jeddah, Riyadh, Doha and to Southeast Asian cities Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are available here. It has a dedicated Heli-taxi service and Chartered flights.
There are over twenty cinema halls that screen movies in Malayalam, Tamil, English and Hindi. A film festival, known as the Cochin International Film Festival (CIFF), is celebrated every year. Movie Theatre complex — Shenoys and Little Shenoys Movie Theatre, Kavitha, Saritha-Savitha-Sangeetha Multiplex, Padma, Sreedhar, Kanoos, Cinemax multiplex at Oberon, Q Cinemas at Gold Souk Grande, 9 screen PVR Cinemas at Lulu Mall, under-construction Cinepolis 11 screen multiplex in Centre Square on MG Road.
Major Malayalam newspapers published in Ernakulam include Malayala Manorama, Mathrubhumi, Janmabhoomi, Madhyamam, Deshabhimani, Deepika, Kerala Kaumudi, Thejus, Metro Vartha, Siraj, Varthamanam, Janayugam and Veekshanam.
Being the seat of the Cochin Stock Exchange, a number of financial publications are also published in the city. These include The Economic Times, Business Line, The Business Standard and The Financial Express.
Television stations in Ernakulam include Indiavision, Jeevan TV, WE TV, Manorama News, Asianet News . Satellite television services are available through Doordarshan Direct Plus, Dish TV Sun Direct and Tata Sky. The Multisystem operators in Ernakulam are Asianet, Siti Cable, Kerala Vision, DEN networks. The local channels are Asianet Cable Vision, Ernakulam Cable TV, SITI channel, Cochin Channel.
All India Radio has two FM stations in the city, operating at 102.3 MHz and 107.5 MHz. Private FM radio stations are Club FM 94.3, Radio Mango 91.9 which plays music 24 hours a day, and 93.5 RED FM. Private satellite radios such as WorldSpace, are also available.
- Ernakulathapan temple (Shiva), Hanuman Temple, Muruga Temple. Located near Ernakulam South Railway Station (2 km )
- Valanjambalam Devi Temple (0.5 km from Ernakulam South Railway Station),
- Ravipuram Srikrishna Swamy Temple (1 km from Ernakulam South Railway Station)
- Immanuel CSI Church, Broad way.
- CSI Church, Elamkulam
- CSI Church, Fort Kochi
- CSI Church, Thripunithura
- CSI Church, Kakkanadu
- Ernakulam — Angamaly Baslica
- Manjumatha Basilica — Pallipuram Palli
- Vallarpadom -baslica
- st thomas evangelikal church of India
- Subhash Park, Boat Jetty Junction
- Children's Park, Boat Jetty Junction
- Maharajas College ground with Synthetic Athletic track
- Jawahar Lal Nehru International Stadium, Kaloor
- Rajeev Gandhi Indoor Stadium, Kadavathara
- B.R. Ambedkar Stadium (Near transport bus stand.
- Colleges — Maharajas College, Government Model Engineering College, St.Teresas Women's College, Govt. Law College, St.Alberts College, Sacred Heart College
- Schools - Global public school, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan — Kochi Kendra (7 schools), Sree Narayana Higher Secondary School (Thrikkanarvattom), Campion School (Edappally),Chinmaya Vidyalaya (Vaduthala), Choice, TocH, Kendriya Vidyalaya
- Flying Squad Emergency- 100 (toll free from all devices)
- Ambulance Service - 108
- Crime Stopper- ☎ 1090
- Women Squad Assist- ☎ 1091
- Highway Police - ☎ +91 98 4610 0100
- Railway Police Assist-☎ +91 98 4620 0100
- SMS Alert and Assist - ☎+91 94 9790 0000
- Rapid Medical Action Force (RMAF) - ☎ 1298
Lake Shore Hospital, Medical Trust, Cochin Hospital, Lakshmi Hospitals, Lourdes, Lissy, Medical Center, MAJ, Govt. District Hospital, PVS Hospital (Kaloor),Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences (Edapallly).
- South India handbook: the travel guide By Robert Bradnock, Roma Bradnock, Page 247-248
- "The Hindu Business Line : Monsoon rolls down curtain of rain over west coast". Thehindubusinessline.in. 2006-06-01. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- "Manorama Online | Kochi Beaches". Week.manoramaonline.com. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- Imperial Gazetteer of India, Provincial Series, Madras II: The Southern and West Coast Districts, Native States, and French Possessions. 1908. p. 454.
- "Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Ernakulam". Fallingrain.com. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies". Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- "Kochi Travel Guide".
- "Keeping Kochi updated". The Hindu. 2003-09-15. Retrieved 2006-06-02.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ernakulam.|
- Government Portal for Ernakulam City
- Government Portal for the district of Ernakulam
- Ernakulam is India’s first smoke-free tourist spot