Ernest, Duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (September 2012)|
|Duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen|
|Successor||Ernest Frederick I|
|Spouse||Sophie of Waldeck|
|Ernest Frederick I
|House||House of Saxe-Hildburghausen|
|Father||Ernest I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha|
|Mother||Elisabeth Sophie of Saxe-Altenburg|
12 June 1655|
|Died||17 October 1715
When his father died in 1675, Ernest and his six brothers jointly assumed the government of the duchy; five years later, in 1680, and under the treaty of division of the family lands, he received the towns of Hildburghausen, Eisfeld, Heldburg, Königsberg. Ernest became thereby founder and first duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen. After the death of his brothers Heinrich and Albrecht without male descendants, he took the towns of Sonnefeld and Behringen.
Ernest settled his official residence in Hildburghausen and began the building of his castle. In 1710 he approved the building in his lands of a new city of French Huguenot families, who were driven out after the Edict of Nantes from France.
As Master of Cavalry he fought in 1683 in the Battle of Vienna, and 1685 in the conquest of Gran and Neuhaeusel, after this he entered the Dutch States Army as a Colonel with the conquest of Kaiserswerth.
In the building of his new residence, Ernest acquired a serious indebtedness of the principality to his brothers, which could not be reduced even by ever larger taxations.
- Ernest Frederick I, Duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen (b. Gotha, 21 August 1681 – d. Hildburghausen, 9 March 1724).
- Sophie Charlotte (b. Arolsen, 23 December 1682 – d. Eisfeld, 20 April 1684).
- Sophie Charlotte (b. Hildburghausen, 23 March 1685 – d. Hildburghausen, 4 June 1710).
- Karl Wilhelm (b. Arolsen, 25 July 1686 – d. Arolsen, 2 April 1687).
- Joseph Maria Frederick Wilhelm (b. Erbach, 5 October 1702 – d. Hildburghausen, 4 January 1787).
- Rudolf Armin Human, Chronik der Stadt Hildburghausen, Hildburghausen, 1886
- Heinrich Ferdinand Schoeppl, Die Herzoge von Sachsen-Altenburg, Bozen, 1917, Neudruck Altenburg, 1992.
- Johann Samuel Ersch, Allgemeine Encyclopädie der Wissenschaften und Künste, p. 300. (Digitalisat)
|Duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen
Ernst Frederick I