Ernest, Elector of Saxony
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (September 2012)|
|Elector of Saxony|
|Reign||7 September 1464 – 26 August 1486|
|Landgrave of Thuringia|
|Reign||17 September 1482 – 26 August 1486|
|Spouse||Elisabeth of Bavaria-Munich|
|Christina, Queen of Denmark
Frederick III, Elector of Saxony
John, Elector of Saxony
Margarete, Duchess of Brunswick-Lüneburg
|House||House of Wettin|
|Father||Frederick II, Elector of Saxony|
|Mother||Margaret of Austria-Styria|
24 March 1441|
Meissen, Electorate of Saxony, Holy Roman Empire
|Died||26 August 1486
Colditz, Electorate of Saxony, Holy Roman Empire
The death of his older brother Frederick (1451) made him the new heir apparent to the position of Elector of Saxony.
In 1464, he succeeded his father as Elector of Saxony, and annexed Thuringia in 1482, and three years later (Treaty of Leipzig, 1485) shared his territory with his brother Albert, until he arranged the division of the common possession.
According to the Treaty of Leipzig he received an area around Wittenberg, the southern Thuringian part, the Vogtland and parts of the Pleissnerland. As a residence he selected Wittenberg. He provided for the welfare of the country and introduced the constitution.
One year after the division elector Ernest died in Colditz, at the age of 46 years, the consequence of a fall from a horse.
- Christina (b. Torgau, 25 December 1461 – d. Odense, 8 December 1521), married on 6 September 1478 to King John I of Denmark
- Frederick III, Elector of Saxony (b. Torgau, 17 January 1463 – d. Lockau, 5 May 1525)
- Ernest (b. Meissen, 26 June 1464 – d. Halle, 3 August 1513), Archbishop of Magdeburg (1476–1480), Bishop of Halberstadt (1480–1513)
- Adalbert (b. Meissen, 8 May 1467 – d. Aschaffenburg, 1 May 1484), Administrator of Mainz
- Johann, Elector of Saxony (b. Meissen, 30 June 1468 – d. Schweinitz, 16 August 1532)
- Margarete (b. Meissen, 4 August 1469 – d. Weimar, 7 December 1528), married on 27 February 1487 to Henry I of Lüneburg
- Wolfgang (b. Meissen, ca. 1473 – d. Torgau, ca. 1478).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ernest, Elector of Saxony.|
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
Ernest, Elector of SaxonyBorn: 24 March 144126 August
|Elector of Saxony
|Landgrave of Thuringia