Ernest & Celestine
|Ernest & Celestine|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Stéphane Aubier
|Produced by||Didier Brunner
|Written by||Daniel Pennac|
|Music by||Vincent Courtois|
|La Parti Productions
|Distributed by||Studio Canal (France & UK)
|Running time||79 minutes|
Ernest & Celestine (French: Ernest et Célestine) is a 2012 French-Belgian animated comedy-drama film directed by Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar and Benjamin Renner. The film is based on a series of children's books of the same name published by the Belgian author and illustrator Gabrielle Vincent.
The film was selected to be screened in the Directors' Fortnight section at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival, as part of the TIFF Kids programme at the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival and at the 2013 Hong Kong International Film Festival. It was selected for the grand competition at feature film edition of the 2013 World festival of animated film Animafest Zagreb and was screened as the opening film.
The film was released in the United States in 2013 by GKIDS. There is also an English dub that was released on 28 February 2014, with the voices of Forest Whitaker, Mackenzie Foy, Lauren Bacall (in her final film role), Paul Giamatti, William H. Macy, Megan Mullally, Nick Offerman, and Jeffrey Wright.
|This section requires expansion. (February 2014)|
Celestine is a young mouse who lives in the underground world of rodents. At the orphanage where she lives, the caretaker known as the Gray One tells scary stories about the evil nature of the bears that live in the outside world, though Celestine doubts the stories are entirely true. She loves to draw but must soon study dentistry, the occupation all rodents hold. In preparation, she must travel above ground to collect bear cubs' lost teeth from underneath pillows. On one such occasion, the cub's family catches Celestine in the act and chase her into a trash can where she spends the night. The next morning, a destitute and starving bear named Ernest discovers Celestine and attempts to eat her. When she convinces him not to and leads the way to a cellar full of food, an unlikely bond forms between the two. But as they soon discover, not everyone - above ground or below - is so accepting of their unprecedented friendship.
- Lambert Wilson as Ernest, a poor reclusive bear whom Celestine befriends
- Pauline Brunner as Celestine, a young orphan mouse who befriends Ernest
- Dominique Maurin as head of the clinic
- Anne-Marie Loop as The Grise, the mouse guardian of the orphanage.
- English dub cast
- Forest Whitaker as Ernest
- Mackenzie Foy as Celestine
- Lauren Bacall as The Grey One
- Paul Giamatti as Rat Judge
- William H. Macy as Head Dentist
- Megan Mullally as Lucienne
- Nick Offerman as George
- Jeffrey Wright as Grizzly Judge
- Susanne Blakeslee
- Dave Boat as Chief of Bear Police
- Marsha Clark as Big Rat Nurse
- Bob Joles
- Joe Ochman as Rat Lawyer
- Stephanie Sheh
- Michael Sinterniklaas
- Spike Spencer
The film review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 98% of critics have given the film a "fresh" rating, based on 46 reviews with an average score of 8.4/10; the general consensus states: "Sweet and visually charming, Ernest & Celestine offers old-fashioned delights for animation lovers of all ages." Metacritic assigns a score of 87 based on 17 critics, indicating "universal acclaim."
Andrew Chan of the Film Critics Circle of Australia writes, "The result is a human story of two unlikely allies, a mouse living in harmony and befriending a bear. It is essentially that simple and it works just fine." Writing on Roger Ebert's website, Glenn Kenny of MSN awarded the film 3½ stars out of 4, praising it for its positive messages of friendship. Kenny wrote: "Ernest and Celestine is the coziest movie you'll likely see all year. Every frame is suffused with a fireplace kind of warmth that, for me at least, cast an immediate spell that didn't let up."
In June 2013, the film won the Award of the Hungarian National Student Jury at the 8th Festival of European Animated Feature Films and TV Specials.
|Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result|
|Academy Awards||Best Animated Feature||Benjamin Renner, Didier Brunner||Nominated|
|Amsterdam Cinekid Festival||Best Picture||Won|
|Annecy International Animated Film Festival||Cristal Award for Best Picture||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner||Nominated|
|Annie Awards||Best Animated Feature||Nominated|
|Character Animation in an Animated Feature Production||Patrick Imbert||Nominated|
|Directing in an Animated Feature Production||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner||Nominated|
|Production Design in an Animated Feature Production||Zaza, Zyk||Nominated|
|Writing in an Animated Feature Production||Daniel Pennac||Nominated|
|Editorial in an Animated Feature Production||Fabienne Alvarez-Giro||Nominated|
|Belgian Film Critics Association||Grand Prix||Nominated|
|Cannes Film Festival||Art Cinema Award (Directors' Fortnight)||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner||Nominated|
|Prix SACD (Directors' Fortnight)||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner||Nominated|
|Prix SACD (Directors' Fortnight) - Special Mention||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner||Won|
|César Awards||Best Animated Film||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner, Didier Brunner, Henri Magalon||Won|
|Dubai International Film Festival||People's Choice Award||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner||Won|
|Galway Film Fleadh||Audience Award for Best International Feature||Runner-up|
|Gijón International Film Festival||Enfant terrible Prize for Best Feature Film||Nominated|
|International Cinephile Society||Best Animated Film||Won|
|Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards||Best Animated Feature||Won|
|Magritte Awards||Best Film||Won|
|Best Director||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar||Won|
|Best Sound||Frédéric Demolder, Emmanuel de Boissieu, Luc Thomas, Franco Piscopo||Won|
|Satellite Awards||Satellite Award for Best Animated or Mixed Media Feature||Nominated|
|Seattle International Film Festival||Youth Jury Award||Won|
|Toronto International Film Festival||People's Choice Award for Best Drama Feature Film||Nominated|
- "ERNEST ET CÉLESTINE – ERNEST AND CELESTINE". StudioCanal. British Board of Film Classification. 27 March 2013. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Ernest & Celestine". jpbox-office. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Leffler, Rebecca. "Cannes 2012: Michel Gondry’s 'The We & The I' to Open Director's Fortnight". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- "2012 Selection". quinzaine-realisateurs.com. Directors' Fortnight. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- "tiff.net". Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "HK Neo Reviews". Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- GKIDS to distribute Ernest & Celestine
- "Trailer for Best Animated Feature Oscar Nominee Ernest & Celestine". Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- Engelen, Aurore (3 February 2014). "Ernest and Célestine triumphs at the Magritte Awards". Cineuropa. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- "Ernest & Celestine". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- "Ernest & Célestine". Metacritic. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Andrew Chan (29 April 2013). "Ernest & Celestine". [HK Neo Reviews].
- Kenny, Glenn (14 March 2014). "ERNEST & CELESTINE". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- 11. Kecskeméti Animációs Filmfesztivál 8. Európai Animációs Játékfilm Fesztivál. Kecskeméti Animáció Film Fesztivál. 2013.
- Staff (16 January 2014). "2013 Academy Awards Nominations and Winners by Category". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Koch, Dave (16 January 2014). "Animated Film Oscar Nominations". Big Cartoon News. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Prix et nominations : Festival du Film d'Animation d'Annecy 2012". Allo Ciné (in French). AlloCiné.fre. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Complete list of 2013 Annie Award nominees for animation". Los Angeles Times. 2 December 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Palmarès et nominations du Festival de Cannes". Allo Ciné (in French). AlloCiné.fr. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Amidi, Amid. "Ernest & Célestine wins the Cesar Awards". Cartoon Brew. CartoonBrew.com. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "La animación coge fuerza en el FICX". Gijón Film Festival (in Spanish). 5 November 2012. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Joey Magidson (13 January 2014). "International cinephile society nominations". Awardscircuit. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- ""Ernest & Célestine" wins LAFCA award". Wallonia. Wallonia.be. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Prix et nominations : Les Magritte du cinéma 2014". Allo Ciné (in French). AlloCiné.fr. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- International Press Academy (2 December 2013). "The International Press Academy Announces Nominations For The 18th Annual Satellite Awards™". PR Newswire. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Ernest & Celestine at the Internet Movie Database
- Ernest & Celestine at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Ernest & Celestine at Rotten Tomatoes
- Ernest & Celestine on Facebook