Ernest & Celestine
|Ernest & Celestine|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Stéphane Aubier
|Produced by||Didier Brunner
|Written by||Daniel Pennac|
|Music by||Vincent Courtois|
|Edited by||Fabienne Alvarez-Giro|
La Parti Productions
|Distributed by||StudioCanal (France & UK)
|Box office||$6.2 million|
Ernest & Celestine (French: Ernest et Célestine) is a 2012 animated comedy-drama film directed by Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar and Benjamin Renner. The film is based on a series of children's books of the same name published by the Belgian author and illustrator Gabrielle Vincent.
The film was selected to be screened in the Directors' Fortnight section at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival, as part of the TIFF Kids programme at the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival and at the 2013 Hong Kong International Film Festival. It was selected for the grand competition at feature film edition of the 2013 World festival of animated film Animafest Zagreb and was screened as the opening film.
The film was released in the United States in 2013 by GKIDS. There is also an English dub that was released on 28 February 2014, with the voices of Forest Whitaker, Mackenzie Foy, Lauren Bacall, Paul Giamatti, William H. Macy, Megan Mullally, Nick Offerman and Jeffrey Wright.
Celestine is a young mouse who lives in the underground world of rodents. At the orphanage where she lives, the caretaker known as the Gray One tells scary stories about the evil nature of the bears that live in the outside world, though Celestine doubts they are entirely true. She loves to draw but must soon study dentistry, since that's what all rodents do, and to prepare, she must travel above ground to collect bear cubs' lost teeth from underneath pillows. On one such occasion, the cub's family catches Celestine in the act and chase her into a trash can where she is trapped and spends the night. The next morning, a destitute and starving bear named Ernest discovers Celestine and attempts to eat her. Celestine convinces him to let her go by helping him break into the basement of a candy shop, where he can eat his fill. He is soon caught by the store's owner, however, and arrested. Celestine, who is behind on her quota of collected teeth, agrees to free him from the police wagon if he will help her break into and rob the teeth from the office of the store owner's wife, who happens to be a dentist.
Although the robbery initially seems successful, the pair soon find themselves being pursued by the police forces of both the mouse and bear cities. They manage to evade capture by stealing a van, and escape to Ernest's remote cabin. Ernest is initially reluctant to allow Celestine to stay with him, but they begin to bond after he discovers her love of art. He reveals to her that his current destitution is a result of his rejection of his family's plan for him to go into law, like his ancestors, due to his desire to become an entertainer. The two spend the winter happily together, though their joy is somewhat dampened by the constant radio broadcasts declaring that both police forces are still searching for them.
In the Spring, the police are able to track the stolen van to the cabin. Ernest is arrested by the mice, while Celestine is arrested by the bears. Both are simultaneously put on trial, in the main floor and basement of the same courthouse. Though each of them protest their unfair treatment, the judges refuse to listen. During the proceedings, a fire is accidentally started in the courthouse, and while the rest of the citizens flee, Ernest and Celestine each stay behind to rescue their respective judges. In gratitude, the judges drop the charges against them, and grant their wish to be able to remain living together.
Reunited in Ernest's cabin, the pair decide to write and illustrate a book, telling the story of their friendship, though with some embellishments after Celestine protests including the part of their meeting where Ernest attempted to eat her.
|Character||French voice actor||English voice actor|
|Ernest||Lambert Wilson||Forest Whitaker|
|Celestine||Pauline Brunner||Mackenzie Foy|
|The Grey One||Anne-Marie Loop||Lauren Bacall|
|The Rat Judge||Paul Giamatti|
|The Dentist||William H. Macy|
|The Bear Judge||Jeffrey Wright|
Ernest & Celestine received acclaim from critics. The film review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 98% of critics have given the film a "fresh" rating, based on 46 reviews with an average score of 8.4/10; the general consensus states: "Sweet and visually charming, Ernest & Celestine offers old-fashioned delights for animation lovers of all ages." Metacritic assigns a score of 87 based on 17 critics, indicating "universal acclaim."
Andrew Chan of the Film Critics Circle of Australia writes, "The result is a human story of two unlikely allies, a mouse living in harmony and befriending a bear. It is essentially that simple and it works just fine." Writing on Roger Ebert's website, Glenn Kenny of MSN awarded the film 3½ stars out of 4, praising it for its positive messages of friendship. Kenny wrote: "Ernest and Celestine is the coziest movie you'll likely see all year. Every frame is suffused with a fireplace kind of warmth that, for me at least, cast an immediate spell that didn't let up."
The film was released in cinemas in France on 2012 and it was released on DVD in 16 April 2013.
In June 2013, the film won the Award of the Hungarian National Student Jury at the 8th Festival of European Animated Feature Films and TV Specials.
|Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result|
|Academy Awards||Best Animated Feature||Benjamin Renner, Didier Brunner||Nominated|
|Amsterdam Cinekid Festival||Best Picture||Won|
|Annecy International Animated Film Festival||Cristal Award for Best Picture||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner||Nominated|
|Annie Awards||Best Animated Feature||Nominated|
|Character Animation in an Animated Feature Production||Patrick Imbert||Nominated|
|Directing in an Animated Feature Production||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner||Nominated|
|Production Design in an Animated Feature Production||Zaza, Zyk||Nominated|
|Writing in an Animated Feature Production||Daniel Pennac||Nominated|
|Editorial in an Animated Feature Production||Fabienne Alvarez-Giro||Nominated|
|Belgian Film Critics Association||Grand Prix||Nominated|
|Cannes Film Festival||Art Cinema Award (Directors' Fortnight)||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner||Nominated|
|Prix SACD (Directors' Fortnight)||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner||Nominated|
|Prix SACD (Directors' Fortnight) - Special Mention||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner||Won|
|César Awards||Best Animated Film||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner, Didier Brunner, Henri Magalon||Won|
|Dubai International Film Festival||People's Choice Award||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner||Won|
|Galway Film Fleadh||Audience Award for Best International Feature||Runner-up|
|Gijón International Film Festival||Enfant terrible Prize for Best Feature Film||Nominated|
|International Cinephile Society||Best Animated Film||Won|
|Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards||Best Animated Feature||Won|
|Magritte Awards||Best Film||Won|
|Best Director||Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar||Won|
|Best Sound||Frédéric Demolder, Emmanuel de Boissieu, Luc Thomas, Franco Piscopo||Won|
|Satellite Awards||Satellite Award for Best Animated or Mixed Media Feature||Nominated|
|Seattle International Film Festival||Youth Jury Award||Won|
|Toronto International Film Festival||People's Choice Award for Best Drama Feature Film||Nominated|
- "ERNEST ET CÉLESTINE – ERNEST AND CELESTINE". StudioCanal. British Board of Film Classification. 27 March 2013. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Ernest & Celestine". jpbox-office. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Leffler, Rebecca. "Cannes 2012: Michel Gondry’s 'The We & The I' to Open Director's Fortnight". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "2012 Selection". quinzaine-realisateurs.com. Directors' Fortnight. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "tiff.net". Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "HK Neo Reviews". Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- GKIDS to distribute Ernest & Celestine
- Chitwood, Adam (3 February 2014). "Trailer for Best Animated Feature Oscar Nominee ERNEST & CELESTINE". Collider.com. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- Engelen, Aurore (3 February 2014). "Ernest and Célestine triumphs at the Magritte Awards". Cineuropa. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- "Characters". Ernest & Celestine. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Ernest & Celestine". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- "Ernest & Célestine". Metacritic. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Andrew Chan (29 April 2013). "Ernest & Celestine". [HK Neo Reviews].
- Kenny, Glenn (14 March 2014). "ERNEST & CELESTINE". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- 11. Kecskeméti Animációs Filmfesztivál 8. Európai Animációs Játékfilm Fesztivál. Kecskeméti Animáció Film Fesztivál. 2013.
- Staff (16 January 2014). "2013 Academy Awards Nominations and Winners by Category". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Koch, Dave (16 January 2014). "Animated Film Oscar Nominations". Big Cartoon News. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Prix et nominations : Festival du Film d'Animation d'Annecy 2012". Allo Ciné (in French). AlloCiné.fre. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Complete list of 2013 Annie Award nominees for animation". Los Angeles Times. 2 December 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Palmarès et nominations du Festival de Cannes". Allo Ciné (in French). AlloCiné.fr. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Amidi, Amid. "Ernest & Célestine wins the Cesar Awards". Cartoon Brew. Cartoon Brew. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "La animación coge fuerza en el FICX". Gijón Film Festival (in Spanish). 5 November 2012. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Joey Magidson (13 January 2014). "International cinephile society nominations". Awardscircuit. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- ""Ernest & Célestine" wins LAFCA award". Wallonia. Wallonia.be. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Prix et nominations : Les Magritte du cinéma 2014". Allo Ciné (in French). AlloCiné.fr. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- International Press Academy (2 December 2013). "The International Press Academy Announces Nominations For The 18th Annual Satellite Awards™". PR Newswire. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Ernest & Celestine at the Internet Movie Database
- Ernest & Celestine at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Ernest & Celestine at Rotten Tomatoes
- Ernest & Celestine on Facebook