Ernest A. Love Field
|Prescott Municipal Airport
Ernest A. Love Field
|IATA: PRC – ICAO: KPRC – FAA LID: PRC|
|Owner||City of Prescott|
|Elevation AMSL||5,045 ft / 1,538 m|
Prescott Municipal Airport, Ernest A. Love Field (IATA: PRC, ICAO: KPRC, FAA LID: PRC) is eight miles north of Prescott, in Yavapai County, Arizona. Love Field is used for general aviation but is served by Great Lakes Airlines, who has a code-share agreement with United and Frontier Airlines, a service subsidized by the federal government's Essential Air Service program at a cost of $2,094,325(per year).
The National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems categorized it as a non-primary commercial service airport. Federal Aviation Administration records say the airport had 5,816 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 11,668 in 2009 and 7,836 in 2010.
The City of Prescott announced that passenger totals for 2009 were 11,690. Reaching over 10,000 boardings will allow the airport to get a million dollar grant each year for the next five years for improvement projects. This also prompted Great Lakes Airlines to add a second daily weekday flight to Denver.
The first airline flights at Prescott were TWA DC-3s in late 1947.
The airport is named for Ernest A. Love (1895–1918), First Lieutenant, United States Army Air Service. Love was born in New Mexico and raised in Prescott. He was a graduate of Prescott High School, and studied mechanical engineering at Stanford. He served in World War I and was shot down near Verdun, France on 16 September 1918, and died of his wounds as a prisoner of war a few days later. Lieutenant Love is buried at Arlington National Cemetery. The hamlet of Love, Arizona is also named for him.
Ernest A. Love Field covers 760 acres (308 ha) at an elevation of 5,045 feet (1,538 m). It has three asphalt runways: 3R/21L is 7,616 by 150 feet (2,321 x 46 m); 3L/21R is 4,848 by 60 feet (1,478 x 18 m); 12/30 is 4,408 by 75 feet (1,344 x 23 m).
Plans to extend Runway 3R/21L and Runway 3L/22R were mentioned in the latest master plan update in 2009. The extension onto Runway 3R/21L would be more than 3,300 feet and the extension onto Runway 3L/21R would be more than 1,300 feet.
In the year ending March 31, 2011 the airport had 244,080 aircraft operations, average 668 per day: 98.2% general aviation, 1.6% air taxi, <1% military, and <1% airline. 232 aircraft were then based at this airport: 89% single-engine, 8% multi-engine, 1% helicopter, 1% jet, and <1% glider.
Airlines and destinations
Scheduled passenger service:
|Great Lakes Airlines||Farmington, Los Angeles|
|Carrier||Passengers (arriving and departing)|
|Rank||City||Airport name & IATA code||Passengers|
|1||Los Angeles, CA||Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)||3,690|
|2||Denver, CO||Denver International Airport (DEN)||1,280|
|3||Page, AZ||Page Municipal Airport (PGA)||80|
|4||Moab, UT||Canyonlands Field (CNY)||70|
|5||Kingman, AZ||Kingman Airport (IGM)||20|
|6||Visalia, CA||Visalia Municipal Airport (VIS)||10|
|7||Phoenix, AZ||Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)||10|
|8||Farmington, NM||Four Corners Regional Airport (FMN)||<10|
- FAA Airport Master Record for PRC ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012.
- "IATA Airport Code Search (PRC: Prescott)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- "Essential Air Service Reports". U.S. Department of Transportation. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). CY 2008 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009.
- "Enplanements for CY 2010" (PDF, 189 KB). CY 2010 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2011.
- Ernest A. Love, First Lieutenant, United States Army Air Service at Arlington National Cemetery
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Love
- "Prescott, AZ: Ernest A. Love Field (PRC)". Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS), Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA), U.S. Department of Transportation. December 2013. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- Essential Air Service documents (Docket DOT-OST-1996-1899) from the U.S. Department of Transportation:
- Order 2005-3-16 (March 9, 2005): selecting Great Lakes Aviation, Ltd. to provide essential air service at Kingman, Prescott, Page, and Show Low for a new two-year period, at a combined first-year subsidy of $3,840,959, and a combined second-year subsidy of $3,854,958.
- Order 2007-6-10 (June 13, 2007): selecting Mesa Air Group, Inc. d/b/a Air Midwest to provide subsidized essential air service at Kingman and Prescott, Arizona, for two years, beginning when the carrier full service. Service will consist of three round trips a day (18 per week) with 19-seat Beech 1900D aircraft over a Kingman Prescott Phoenix or Prescott Kingman Las Vegas routing, at a total annual subsidy of $1,798,489 for both communities.
- Order 2008-6-11 (June 10, 2008): selecting Great Lakes Aviation, Ltd. to provide essential air service at Kingman and Prescott, Arizona, for a two-year period beginning when the carrier inaugurates full service at both communities at a combined annual subsidy of $2,898,490.
- Order 2011-3-4 (March 1, 2011): re-selecting Great Lakes Aviation, Ltd. to provide essential air service at Kingman, Page, Prescott, and Show Low, Arizona for the two-year period from May 1, 2011, to April 30, 2013, for a combined annual subsidy of $5,596,114.
- Order 2013-6-1 (June 3, 2013): re-selecting Great Lakes Aviation, Ltd. to provide Essential Air Service at Kingman, Page, Prescott, and Show Low, Arizona, for the two-year period from May 1, 2013, through April 30, 2015, for a combined annual subsidy of $7,873,533. Subsidy for Prescott: $2,094,235. Routing: PRC-LAX nonstop and/or DEN one-stop. Weekly Frequency: 18. Aircraft: Beechcraft 1900D. Seats: 19.
- Official website
- Ernest A. Love Field (PRC) at Arizona DOT airport directory
- Aerial image as of June 1992 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective April 30, 2015
- FAA Terminal Procedures for PRC, effective April 30, 2015
- Resources for this airport: