Ernest Frederick, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (September 2012)|
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld|
|Spouse||Sophia Antonia of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel|
Prince Karl Wilhelm
Prince Ludwig Karl
Prince Ferdinand August
|House||House of Wettin|
|Father||Francis Josias, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld|
|Mother||Anna Sophie of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt|
8 March 1724|
Saalfeld, Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, Holy Roman Empire
|Died||8 September 1800
Coburg, Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, Holy Roman Empire
Ernest Frederick succeeded his father in the Duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld when he died in 1764 and established his definitive residence shifted in Coburg. Because of the high indebtedness of the duchy he was compelled by Emperor Joseph II in 1773 to work with a Debit commission—an obligatory administration of debts assigned by the emperor—for over thirty years.
- Franz Frederick Anton, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (b. Coburg 15 July 1750 – d. Coburg, 9 December 1806), father of Leopold I of Belgium and grandfather of Leopold II, Empress Carlota of Mexico, Queen Victoria of Great Britain, and her husband Prince Albert.
- Karl Wilhelm Ferdinand (b. Coburg, 21 November 1751 – d. Coburg, 16 February 1757).
- Fredericka Juliane (b. Coburg, 14 September 1752 – d. Coburg, 24 September 1752).
- Caroline Ulrike Amalie (b. Coburg, 19 October 1753 – d. Coburg, 1 October 1829), a nun at Gandersheim.
- Ludwig Karl Frederick (b. Coburg, 2 January 1755 – d. Coburg, 4 May 1806); he had an illegitimate son by some Mademoiselle Brutel de la Riviére: Ludwig Frederick Emil of Coburg (b. Hildburghausen, 1779 - d. Coburg, 1827). In turn, the five children of Ludwig Frederick were created Freiherren von Coburg. His descendants still alive.
- Ferdinand August Heinrich (b. Coburg, 12 April 1756 – d. Coburg, 8 July 1758).
- Frederick (b. Coburg, 4 March 1758 – d. Coburg, 26 June 1758).
Ernest Frederick, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-SaalfeldBorn: 8 March 1724 Died: 8 September 1800
|Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld