Life and work
In the 1870s in partnership with Harold Peto, George designed houses in London for the Cadogan Estate in Chelsea and Kensington, and a number of country houses. In 1881 they designed Stoodleigh Court at Tiverton for Thomas Carew. In 1891 they designed an extension to West Dean House for William James, creating the Oak Room, now Oak Hall in West Dean College.
Between 1870 and 1911 George designed several houses with his former pupil, Alfred B. Yeates.
He served as president of the Royal Institute of British Architects from 1908 to 1910.
Houses by George & Yeates
- Rousdon House (for Sir Henry Peek of Peek Freans; became Allhallows School in 1938) Rousdon, Devon (1870)
- 1-8 Collingham Gardens, Earls Court, London (1881-84)
- Shockerwick House, Bathford, Somerset including wings, lodge and 'The Clock House' (1896)
- Cawston Manor & Water Tower Cawston, Norfolk (1897)
- Golders Green Crematorium, London (1902)
- Eynsham Hall, Oxfordshire (1904–08)
- Olveston, Dunedin, New Zealand for David Theomin (1903)
- Ruckley GrangeTong, Shropshire (1904)
- Bushridge Hall, Godalming, Surrey (1906)
- Crathorne Hall, North Yorkshire (1906–09)
- Putteridge Bury, Lilley, Hertfordshire (1911)
- George painted in England, Belgium, Holland, France, Germany and Italy.
- An album with pencil-sketches of townscapes in Ostend is kept in the Kunstmuseum aan Zee there.
- H. Grainger, The Architecture of Sir Ernest George and his partners [Ph. D. thesis, University of Leeds] (1985)
- A. Stuart Gray, Edwardian Architecture, A Biographical Dictionary (1985), ISBN 0-7156-2141-6, p.186.
- M. Blackman, Dorothy Theomin of Olveston (2007. The Friends of Olveston, Dunedin, NZ) ISBN 978-0-473-11564-7, pp.17-19.
- Lynne Walker, "Golden Age or False Dawn? Women Architects in the Early 20th century", English-heritage.org. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- "Sir Ernest George". Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 1911 edition
N. Hostyn, Een album met Oostendse schetsen van Sir Ernest George. Een uitzonderlijk iconografisch document voor Oostende, [Ostend] [Kon. Oostendse Heem- en Geschiedkundige Kring De Plate], .
- The Lychgate, West Wickham Church (1864 watercolour)
- Ghent, Canal Scene (Etching, c. 1880)
- San Gimignano (1882 watercolour)