|Born||18 August 1831|
|Died||20 May 1931|
|Occupation||Member of Parliament
|Title||Member of Parliament for Dumfries Burghs|
|Term||1874 – 1886|
|Spouse(s)||1. Louisa Hope (1857–1870 d.)
2. Lady Augusta Keppel (1873–1902 d.)
3. Sidney Saunders (1909–1931)
Ernest Noel, FGS (18 August 1831 – 20 May 1931) was member of Parliament for the Scottish seat of Dumfries Burghs from 1874 to 1886. He was chairman of the Artizans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company from 1880, during the construction of a new suburb for the working classes in Wood Green which was named "Noel Park" in his honour.
Noel was the second son of the Reverend Baptist Wriothesley Noel and Jane Noel (née Baillie). His father was the tenth son of Sir Gerard Noel and Diana, Baroness Barham and brother of Charles Noel, 3rd Baron Barham (later 1st Earl of Gainsborough).
Noel married three times and was widowed twice:
- 1857–1870 - Louisa Hope, daughter of Thomas Milne
- 1873–1902 - Lady Augusta Keppel, daughter of the 6th Earl of Albermarle
- 1909–1931 - Sidney Emily Saunders, daughter of the Reverend W Sidney Saunders
Between 1874 and 1886, Noel was Liberal member of Parliament for the Scottish seat of Dumfries Burghs. In the 1886 and 1892 elections he stood in Stirlingshire as a Liberal Unionist candidate but was unsuccessful both times.
From 1880, was chairman of the Artizans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company a for profit joint stock company, interested in the construction of improved housing for the working classes. The company's "Noel Park" estate at Wood Green was named in his honour. Noel was deputy chairman of the English and Scottish London Board of the Eagle, Star and British Dominions Insurance Company. He was chairman of the Mercantile Investment Trust until the age of 95.
He died in May 1931 aged 99 years.
- "Noel, Ernest". Who Was Who. A & C Black/Oxford University Press. 2007. Retrieved 18 February 2009.
- Index Entries"1".,"2". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 18 February 2009.
- "Noel, Ernest (NL856E)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/people/mr-ernest-noel Hansard record
- "Mr. Ernest Noel". The Times. 22 May 1931. p. 16. Retrieved 22 February 2009.
- "The Second Mercantile Trust". The Times. 28 May 1931. p. 19. Retrieved 22 February 2009.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Ernest Noel
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Dumfries Burghs
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (since 1801), for a Scottish constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Liberal Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|