Life and works
He served for a period with the 3rd Middlesex Artillery. He became a Boer War correspondent for The Sphere, sending back illustrations from the battlefield. He also worked for the Black & White Budget and The Graphic newspapers. As well as being an illustrator, he was an adept photographer. He contributed illustrations to the Strand Magazine, Pall Mall Gazette and Boy's Own Paper and for books published by the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, the Religious Tract Society, Carey Press, Sheldon Press and others.
Prater specialised in illustrating boys' adventure stories. Among the well-known authors whose works he illustrated were G.A. Henty, R.M. Ballantyne, W.H.G. Kingston, Percy F. Westerman, Frank T. Bullen, Tom Bevan, Herbert Hayens and Bessie Marchant.
He was noted for his painting The Last Pass: A Thrilling Moment in a Rugby Match'.
In 1911 he was living at Newquay, The Leas, Westcliff in the parish of Prittlewell. His occupation is Artist Illustrator B and W. Living in the household are his wife Florence Alice Prater and their children Gladys Alma (11), Marie Lilian Marguerite (9), Minnie Winifred (6), Ruby Albina (3) and Raleigh Brandon (1).
- Bernard Dolman (Ed) Who's Who in Art, The Art Trade Press Ltd., 1927.
- Pat Hodgson, The War Illustrators, Macmillan, 1977, p.183
- Albert Charles Robinson Carter. The Work of War Artists in South Africa (Art Journal, London, 1900 - reprinted with annotations by Steve Lunderstedt, W. Humphreys Art Gallery, Kimberly, South Africa, 1999). ISBN 0-620-25198-0
- Ryno Greenwall, Artists and illustrators of the Anglo-Boer War, Fernwood Press, Vlaeberg, 1992. ISBN 0-9583154-2-6, ISBN 0-9583154-6-9
- John Gooch, The Boer War: Direction, Experience, and Image, Routledge, 2000, ISBN 0-7146-5101-X
- Derek Birley, Land of Sport and Glory: Sport and British Society, 1887-1910, International Studies in the History of Sport. 1995
- 1911 Census
Selected illustrated books
- Henty, G. A. The lost heir (Toronto: Copp, Clark, 1899).
- Lampen, Charles Dudley. Mirango the man-eater: a tale of Central Africa (London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1899).
- Miller, J. Martin. Official history of the Russian-Japanese war (1904).
- Mathews, Basil Joseph. John Williams, the shipbuilder (London: Humphrey Milford, Oxford University Press, 1915).
- Padwick, C. E. Mackay of the Great Lake (London: H. Milford, Oxford University Press, 1917).
- Work by E. Prater (Bridgeman Art library)
- Works by Ernest Prater at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Ernest Prater at Internet Archive
- Books illustrated by Ernest Prater (WorldCat)