2 June 1892|
|Died||13 March 1945
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1920)
|Years of service||1914–1920
|Commands held||Armee-Waffenschule 3. Panzerarmee|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
|Other work||Police officer|
Ernst Knebel (6 February 1892 – 13 March 1945) was a highly decorated Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Ernst Knebel was seriously wounded in January 1945 and died of his wounds on 13 March 1945 in Preußisch-Eylau. He was posthumously promoted to Generalmajor.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (30 September 1914)
- 1st Class (26 March 1918)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (10 March 1943)
- 1st Class (11 August 1943)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black or Silver
- Infantry Assault Badge
- War Merit Cross with Swords
- 2nd Class
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 215.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 81.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2299-6.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- Ernst Knebel @ Axis Biographical Research at the Wayback Machine (archived October 28, 2009)