Erode Central Bus Terminus
|Location||Erode, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Owner||Erode Municipal Corporation|
The Erode Central Bus Terminus was opened to public in 1973 to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of the Indian Independence, at the heart of the City, with two Entry and two Exit Gates. It was constructed and is being maintained by Erode Municipal Corporation. The available space in the terminal was spread over an area of 15 acres (61,000 m2) and had parking bays to accommodate more than 200 buses simultaneously. More than 1,500 services operate from the terminal everyday. Currently it has about 11 Platforms apart from the Mini-bus station located inside the complex.
The station complex caters to both Intra city and inter city services. Buses ply from here to all major towns in Tamil Nadu and other important places in Karnataka, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Puducherry. About half of the area of the complex covering 5 platforms with 20 bays each is allocated for outstation services.
|1, 2||Gobichettipalayam, Sathy, Ooty, Coimbatore, Tirupur, Chennai, Bangalore, Palani, Tirupati, Ernakulam, Puducherry|
|3, 4||Salem, Tiruchengode, Namakkal, Karur, Dindigul, Trichy, Madurai, Tirunelveli, Rameshwaram, Kumbakonam, Thanjavur, Vilupuram, Kanyakumari|
|5||Bhavani, Anthiyur, Mettur|
The remaining area is shared by intra city services and mini buses which operate from a total of 7 platforms on the southern side of the terminus.
The bus station has been modernized with the introduction of a railway reservation counter, e-governance facilities and bank ATMs. An air conditioned passenger waiting hall, a reverse osmosis water treatment plant and a separate station for mini-buses are in operation.. An underground parking facility has been constructed for two-wheelers and a multi level shopping complex has been developed along with additional public convenience facilities inside the complex. 
Plans for the Future
The bus station handles about more than 1000 buses everyday. Due to the increasing number of services, the bus station is nearing its full operating capacity. So, the Corporation is planning to construct a new bus terminal near Solar to share the handling of bus services.
- "Origin of the terminus". The Hindu (Chennai, India). May 2006. Retrieved Feb 2011.
- "Erode Bus terminus to sport a new look". The Hindu (Chennai, India). May 2006. Retrieved Feb 2011.
- "Modernisation of Erode Bus terminus". The Hindu (Chennai, India). July 2006. Retrieved Feb 2011.
- "Parking and Shopping facilities". The Hindu (Chennai, India). May 2010. Retrieved Feb 2011.
- "Burden in the terminal". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 18 January 2011. Retrieved Feb 2011.
- "Plan for another terminal". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 4 February 2010. Retrieved Feb 2011.