Errol Friedberg in 2003
|Institutions||University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas|
|Alma mater||University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Known for||DNA repair, carcinogenesis|
|Notable awards||Lila Gruber Honor Award for Cancer Research, Honorary Doctorate in Science (University of the Witwatersrand), Mellon Lecturer (University of Pittsburgh), Rous-Whipple Award|
Errol Clive Friedberg is a biologist and historian of science in the Department of Pathology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. He studied medicine at the University of Witwatersrand in South Africa, and subsequently received postdoctoral training in biochemistry and pathology at Case Western Reserve University before joining the faculty at Stanford University. Friedberg's research contributions center around understanding how cells repair and/or tolerate unrepaired damage to DNA and defining the biological consequences of unrepaired DNA damage. He has edited and written several editions of DNA Repair and Mutagenesis, published by ASM Press.
Friedberg has also published several volumes on aspects of the history of molecular biology, including Correcting the Blueprint of Life-An Historical Account of the Discovery of DNA Repair Mechanisms, The Writing Life of James D. Watson, From Rags to Riches-The Phenomenal Rise of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and Sydney Brenner: A Biography.
- Rous Whipple Award from the American Society for Investigative Pathology (2000)
- Fellow, American Academy of Microbiology (2002)
- Honorary Doctorate of Science, University of the Witwatersrand (2002)
- Lila Gruber Award for Cancer Research (2007)
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2007)
- Honorary Fellow, Royal Society of South Africa (2012)
- Sydney Brenner: A Biography, pub. CSHL Press, September 2010, ISBN 0-87969-947-7.
- Sydney Brenner: My Life in Science, with Lewis Wolpert, edited by Errol C. Friedberg and Eleanor Lawrence, BioMed Central 2001, ISBN 0-9540278-0-9
- The Writing Life of James D. Watson, pub. CSHL Press,2005, ISBN 0-87969-700-8
- From Rags to Riches-The Phenomenal Rise of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Carolina Academic Press,2007, ISBN 1-59460-397-9
- DNA Repair and Mutagenesis (with G. C. Walker, W. Siede, R. D. Wood, R. A Schultz and T. Ellenberger), pub. ASM Press, 2006, ISBN 1-55581-319-4
- Cancer Answers-Encouraging Answers to 25 Questions You Were Afraid to Ask WH Freeman, New York, 1992, ISBN 0-7167-7023-7
- "Errol Friedberg, M.D. - Faculty Profile - UT Southwestern". Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- Friedberg, EC; Walker, GC; Siede, W; Wood, RD; Schultz, RA; Ellenberger, T (2006). DNA repair and mutagenesis (2nd ed.). ASM Press. ISBN 978-1-55581-319-2.
- "DNA Repair - Elsevier". Elsevier. Retrieved December 4, 2009.