28 November 1965 |
|Occupation||writer, poet, essayist|
|Partner(s)||Lieven Vandenhaute (late 1980s—present)|
He wrote as a columnist for newspapers like De Morgen and published several novels:
- Marcel (1999) - ISBN 2-213-61352-4
- My Fellow Skin - ISBN 1-84343-046-0
- Shutter Speed - ISBN 1-84343-172-6
- While the Gods Were Sleeping (2008)
Collections of his poetry were published from 2001 on.
Among the literary prizes awarded to Mortier there are debut prizes in Belgium and in the Netherlands for Marcel, in 2002 the C. Buddingh' prize for his debut in poetry, and in 2009 the AKO Literatuurprijs for While the Gods Were Sleeping.
Mortier came out of the closet with A plea for sinning, a collection of essays (2003). Other non-fiction included Evenings on the Estate: Travelling with Gerard Reve (2007), and A farewell to Congo: Back to the equator with Jef Geeraerts (2010).
- Erwin Mortier eerste Vlaming in 20 jaar die AKO Literatuurprijs wint Het Nieuwsblad 12 November 2009
- Erwin Mortier wordt nieuwe stadsdichter Het Nieuwsblad 14 January 2005
- C. BUDDINGH PRIZE — Sinds 1988 Poetry International Rotterdam: "2002 - Erwin Mortier met Vergeten licht"
- BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION: How to be as immodest as possible at erwinmortier
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Erwin Mortier.|
- Author's website (Partly in English)
- "Under the skin of an awkward awakening" book review of My Fellow Skin by Kathleen Marshall, in Scotland on Sunday, 2 November 2003
- "Memories made flesh" by AS Byatt in The Guardian, 22 November 2003 (on My Fellow Skin)
- Shutterspeed cover art and synopsis
- "While the Gods Were Sleeping" at OverDrive.com
- While the Gods Were Sleeping at Google Books
- A Letter to the lad I used to be - Online Essay by Erwin Mortier at Upcoming4.me