Esashi, Hokkaido (Sōya)
Location of Esashi in Hokkaido (Sōya Subprefecture)
|Prefecture||Hokkaido (Sōya Subprefecture)|
|• Total||1,115.67 km2 (430.76 sq mi)|
|• Density||8.0/km2 (21/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
As of 2011, its estimated population is 8,980 and its area is 1,115.67 square kilometres (430.76 sq mi).
Esashi is located at the southeast tip of Sōya Subprefectures. The town faces the Sea of Okhotsk to the east, the town of Utanobori to the west, the town of Bifuka to the southwest, Ōmu to the south, and Hamatonbetsu to the north. The southern border of the city is marked by the Toinai River, and the north is marked by Cape Kamui.
The residential districts of Esashi are on a long, narrow strip of the coast ranging from north to south; 67.08% of the town is forested, 14.7% is unused plain land, and only .44% of the town consists of residential land.
Esashi District was established in 1869 in Kitami Province (1868-1882), a short-lived province in the north of Hokkaido. The district was historically under the control of the Kaga Domain on Honshu; this control ended in 1870.
- April, 1909 Esashi Village becomes a second-class municipality
- April, 1916 Tonbetsu Village (now Hamatonbetsu Town) split off
- April, 1923 Esashi becomes a first-class municipality
- September, 1939 Utanobori Village (now town) split off
- Esashi was elevated to town status in 1947.
- On March 20, 2006, the town of Utanobori was merged into Esashi for the second time.
- "枝幸（町）" [Esashi]. Nihon Daihyakka Zensho (Nipponika) (in Japanese). Tokyo: Shogakukan. 2013. OCLC 153301537. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- 枝幸町の給与・定員管理等について (in Japanese). Esashi, Hokkaido: Town of Esashi. 2011. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "枝幸町" [Esashi]. Nihon Rekishi Chimei Taikei (in Japanese). Tokyo: Shogakukan. 2013. OCLC 173191044. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "北見国" [Kitami Province]. Kokushi Daijiten (in Japanese). Tokyo: Shogakukan. 2013. OCLC 683276033. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "枝幸" [Esashi]. Nihon Kokugo Daijiten (in Japanese). Tokyo: Shogakukan. 2013. OCLC 56431036. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- "枝幸郡" [Esashi District]. Kokushi Daijiten (in Japanese). Tokyo: Shogakukan. 2013. OCLC 683276033. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
Media related to Esashi, Hokkaidō (Sōya) at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website (Japanese)