Goa Medical College
|Goa Medical College|
|Escola Médico-Cirúrgica de (Nova) Goa|
Seal of Goa Medical College
|Latin: Goa Medical College|
|Motto||Satyam Shivam Sundaram|
|Motto in English||Truth is Eternal and Beautiful|
|Type||Health Services, Medical Education and Research Institution|
|Parent institution||Goa University|
|Dean||Dr. V.N. Jindal|
|Postgraduates||31 (MD students)
13 (MS students)
30 (Diploma students)
|Location||Bambolim, Goa, India|
|Campus||Urban 11,34,798 Sq Mts|
|Website||www.gmc.goa.gov.in , www.gmcmec.gov.in|
Goa Medical College (GMC) is a medical college and hospital in Goa, India. It was built during the Portuguese rule in 1842 as the Escola Médico-Cirúrgica de (Nova) Goa (Medical-Surgical School of Goa). It is one of the oldest medical colleges in Asia teaching medicine. Calcutta Medical College in 1835 and Stanley Medical College in 1838 are India's two older medical colleges. These were built by the erstwhile British Raj. The college also has one of the oldest medical libraries, was set up in 1845.
Originally located in Panjim, the college was moved to Alto-Bambolim in 1993. The college has been under the Goa University since 1986 before which it was under the Bombay University. The Institute of Psychiatry and Human Behaviour (Bambolim), the TB and Chest Disease Hospital (St. Inez), The Rural Health and Training Centre (Mandur) and the Urban Health Centre (St. Cruz) form parts of the Establishment. The college is affiliated to Goa University, and offers the MBBS course, several MS and MD courses, and some super-specialisations. Goa Medical College (GMC) and Goa Dental College are located opposite each other on either side of the road connecting Panjim and Cortalim.
- "Goa Medical College, Panaji at Medical Council of India Website". View details of college - Goa Medical College, Panaji. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Goa Medical College". Goa Medical College- Staff Details. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Goa Medical College". Goa Medical College- Information on MBBS. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Goa Medical College". Goa Medical College- Admissions for the Post Graduate seats. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Goa Medical College". Goa Medical College- Particulars of the Organization, Function and Duties. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- Faridah Abdul Rashid (July 2012). Research on the Early Malay Doctors 1900-1957 Malaya and Singapore. Xlibris Corporation. pp. 27–. ISBN 978-1-4691-7243-9. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- Narendra K. Wagle; George Coehlo (1995). Goa: Continuity and Change. University of Toronto, Centre for South Asian Studies. p. 33. ISBN 978-1-895214-12-3. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- The Hindu Weekly Review. K. Gopalan. January 1968. p. 19. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- Supe, A.; Burdick, W. P. (2006). "Challenges and Issues in Medical Education in India". Academic Medicine 81 (12): 1076–1080. doi:10.1097/01.ACM.0000246699.94234.ab. PMID 17122473.
- Godfrey Oswald (2009). Library World Records. McFarland. p. 89. ISBN 978-0-7864-3852-5. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "Goa Medical College 2009". Retrieved 2011-06-25.
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (October 2012)|
- College Information in FAIMER Database
- College Information in AVICENNA Directories
- College Information in World Directory of Medical Schools