Main bus station in Esenler, Istanbul
Location of Esenler in Istanbul
|• Mayor||Mehmet Tevfik Göksu (AKP)|
|• Governor||Nazım Madenoğlu|
|• District||38.60 km2 (14.90 sq mi)|
|• District density||12,000/km2 (31,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Esenler is a district of Istanbul, Turkey, on its European side. Esenler is mainly densely packed, working class residential in the midst of its industrial neighbouring districts of Gaziosmanpaşa, Güngören and Bağcılar. The mayor is Tevfik Göksu (AKP).
In the Ottoman times this area, well outside the city walls, was the villages of Litros and Avas, populated by Greek farmers. These villagers were deported in the population exchange at the founding of the Turkish republic and the area was then settled by Turks from Greek Macedonia.
Many of the large numbers of people that migrated to Istanbul in the 60s to 90s ended up in districts like this and with a population of over half a million Esenler has desperately insufficient infrastructure, leading to over-crowded schoolrooms and many other problems.
Esenler has the huge inter-city bus terminal of the European side.
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- "History and geography of Esenler" (in Turkish). Governorship of Esenler, Istanbul. 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- "Administrative situation of Esenler" (in Turkish). Governorship of Esenler, Istanbul. 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- "History of Esenler" (in Turkish). Municipality of Esenler, Istanbul. 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- District governor's official website (Turkish)
- District municipality's official website (Turkish)
- Local news website (Turkish)
|This geographical article about a location in Istanbul Province, Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|