Esher (UK Parliament constituency)
|Former Borough constituency|
|for the House of Commons|
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||Esher & Walton
Esher was a borough constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It elected one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election. In the general elections during its 47-year lifetime it was won by three Conservatives successively.
History and boundaries
- Claygate, Cobham (and) Downside,[n 1] Cobham Fairmile, Hinchley Wood, Long Ditton, Molesey East, Molesey North, Molesey South, Oxshott and Stoke D'Abernon, Thames Ditton, Weston Green, Clandon and Horsley, Effingham, Lovelace (Wisley and Ockham),[n 2] and Send.
From 1997 in Esher's main replacement were 11 of its 15 wards. In Elmbridge which was formed in 1974, Esher had excluded not only Weybridge but also the more populated suburban town of Walton on Thames and Hersham compared to the town of Esher so a new name and territory was agreed upon after consultation. In the above list the last four wards were in another local district, that of Guildford and have been placed within Mole Valley seat since 1997.
Neighbours with borders of more than 2 miles (3.2 km) were:
or their variations including:
Members of Parliament
|Election||Member ||Party||Other terms served as MP|
|1987||Ian Taylor||Conservative||1997-2010 for Esher and Walton|
|1997||constituency abolished: see Esher and Walton|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1992: Esher|
|Liberal Democrat||John Richling||10,744||22.6||−3.1|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Esher|
|Liberal||A J Barnett||12,266||25.7||-2.3|
|Labour||N J V Lucas||4,197||8.8||+1.6|
|General Election 1983: Esher|
|Liberal||C W Wheatley||12,665||28.0|
|Labour||D D Plaskow||3,250||7.2|
|Monster Raving Loony||W Wellie||664||1.5|
Notes and references
- Representation of the People Act 1948, C.65, First Schedule, Parliamentary Constituencies.
- Youngs, Frederic A, Jr. (1979). Guide to the Local Administrative Units of England, Vol.I: Southern England. London: Royal Historical Society. pp. 765–766. ISBN 0901050679.
- Parliamentary Constituencies (England) Order 1983 (S.I. 1983/417)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "E" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.