Esher and Walton (UK Parliament constituency)
|Esher and Walton|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Esher and Walton in Surrey.
Location of Surrey within England.
|Electorate||76,962 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Dominic Raab (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
Esher and Walton / / is a constituency represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament.[n 1] The current MP is Dominic Raab of the Conservative Party and since 1997 the area has always elected Conservative MPs so is a Conservative safe seat.
The constituency is a small area in the north of Surrey, bordering Greater London. Towns in the constituency include Esher and Walton-on-Thames, which give it its name, as well as other settlements such as Cobham, Oxshott and Thames Ditton. It shares similar borders to that of Elmbridge district. It is a safe Conservative seat, and is for the most part affluent and with low unemployment, Notable landscape features include the River Thames, River Mole, Esher Commons and Sandown Park.
Members of Parliament
Ian Taylor held the seat from 1997 to 2010, having held the previous Esher seat from 1987. Taylor stood down at the 2010 election, and Dominic Raab was elected as the new Conservative MP for this seat.
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2010: Esher and Walton|
|Liberal Democrat||Lionel Blackman||13,541||24.8||-4.8|
|Monster Raving Loony||Chinners Chinnery||341||0.6||-0.7|
|English Democrats||Mike Kearsley||307||0.6||N/A|
|Best of a Bad Bunch||Andy Lear||230||0.4||N/A|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Esher and Walton|
|Liberal Democrat||Mark Marsh||14,155||29.6||+7.1|
|Monster Raving Loony||Chinners Chinnery||608||1.3||N/A|
|Socialist Labour||Richard Cutler||342||0.7||N/A|
|General Election 2001: Esher and Walton|
|Liberal Democrat||Mark Marsh||10,241||22.5||+2.1|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Esher and Walton|
|Liberal Democrat||Gary Miles||10,937||20.4||-1.6|
|Referendum Party||Andrew Cruickshank||2,904||5.4|
|Rainbow Dream Ticket||Simone Kay||302||0.6|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "E" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Statement of Persons Nominated, Elmbridge Borough Council
- Election result, 2005 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1997 - 2005 (Guardian)
- Election results, 1951 - 2001 (Keele University)