Esher and Walton (UK Parliament constituency)
|Esher and Walton|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Esher and Walton in Surrey.
Location of Surrey within England.
|Electorate||76,962 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Dominic Raab (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
Chertsey & Walton
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
Esher and Walton / / is a constituency represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament.[n 1] The current MP is Dominic Raab of the Conservative Party. Since 1906 the seats to which its wards (and/or civil parishes) contributed have elected Conservative MPs and the lowest majority since the 1930s has been 16.1%. In either indicator of safe/marginal seat analysis the seat has in its elections since its 1997 creation been in top 20% of seats rendering it a very safe seat.
The constituency is mixed suburban and rural (here mostly reservoirs and heath) in the north of Surrey, bordering Greater London. Towns with mid-rise urban centres in the constituency are Esher and Walton-on-Thames, which give it its name, as well as lower density Cobham, Claygate and Molesey and the villages of Oxshott and Thames Ditton. It occupies all but the far west of the Borough of Elmbridge. It has a majority of housing on private planned estates with on average larger gardens than in most boroughs of Greater London. The South Western Main Line passes through the middle of the seat connecting most stations rapidly to the City of London and it has low unemployment. Notable features include the first non-tidal section of the Thames, wooded Esher Commons, the Mole and Sandown Park.
Members of Parliament
Ian Taylor held the seat from 1997 to 2010, having held the previous Esher seat from 1987. Taylor stood down at the 2010 election, and Dominic Raab was elected as the new Conservative MP for this seat.
The last time when any of the component villages/towns (then urban districts and below this level, civil parishes) in this area voted for an MP who was not Conservative was in 1906. The MP who served the four-year term to 1910 for Chertsey represented the Walton-on-Thames part of the seat.
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Esher and Walton|
|Liberal Democrat||Andrew Davis|
|General Election 2010: Esher and Walton|
|Liberal Democrat||Lionel Blackman||13,541||24.8||-4.8|
|Monster Raving Loony||Chinners Chinnery||341||0.6||-0.7|
|English Democrats||Mike Kearsley||307||0.6||N/A|
|Best of a Bad Bunch||Andy Lear||230||0.4||N/A|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Esher and Walton|
|Liberal Democrat||Mark Marsh||14,155||29.6||+7.1|
|Monster Raving Loony||Chinners Chinnery||608||1.3||N/A|
|Socialist Labour||Richard Cutler||342||0.7||N/A|
|General Election 2001: Esher and Walton|
|Liberal Democrat||Mark Marsh||10,241||22.5||+2.1|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Esher and Walton|
|Liberal Democrat||Gary Miles||10,937||20.4||-1.6|
|Referendum Party||Andrew Cruickshank||2,904||5.4|
|Rainbow Dream Ticket||Simone Kay||302||0.6|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Latest published Physical Environment: Land Use Statistics by constituency Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "E" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- http://www.libdems.org.uk/general_election_candidates#South East
- Statement of Persons Nominated, Elmbridge Borough Council
- Election result, 2005 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1997 - 2005 (Guardian)
- Election results, 1951 - 2001 (Keele University)