|Pronunciation||//, // or //|
|Gender||male or female|
|Word/name||French esmé (feminine esmée), "esteemed", past participle of esmer, "to esteem"|
|Meaning||1. French: "beloved", "esteemed"
2. Short for Esméralda
|Related names||Edmé, Esméralda|
|Look up Esmé in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Esmé (masculine) or Esmée (feminine) is a French given name, the participle of French esmer "to esteem" (whence also English aim). Esmé came to be used in Scotland in the 16th century as the name of Esmé Stewart, 1st Duke of Lennox (1542–1583).
Esme is also used as a short form for the feminine name Esmeralda.
- Esmé Stewart, 1st Duke of Lennox (1542–1583)
- Esmé Stewart, 3rd Duke of Lennox (1579–1624)
- Esmé Stewart, 2nd Duke of Richmond (1649–1660)
- Esme Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Penrith (1863–1939)
- Saville Esmé Percy (1887–1957), a British actor
- Emma Eleonora "Esmé" Wiegman-van Meppelen Scheppink (born 1975), Dutch politician
- Esmé Bianco (born 1982), British model and performer
- Esmé Kamphuis (born 1983), Dutch bobsledder
- Esme Mackinnon (born 1913), British skier
- Esme Tombleson (1917–2010), New Zealand politician
- Esme Melville (1918–2006), Australian actress
- Esme Langley (1919–1991), British writer
- Esme Irwin (1931–2001), British cricket player
- Anamuah Esme Papa Mends (born 1986), a Ghanese soccer player
- Esme, a character in The Recognitions
- Esmé, the fictional eponym of "For Esmé – with Love and Squalor"
- Esme Murray, a character in the sitcom Hamish Macbeth
- Esmé Squalor, a villainess in A Series of Unfortunate Events
- Esme Cuckoo, a mutant in the Marvel Universe
- Esme Cullen, a vampire in the Twilight series
- Esme Vanderheusen, a character in the soap opera Passions
- Esme Weatherwax or Granny Weatherwax, a witch in the Discworld series
- "Esme s'est dit anciennement par abréviation pour estime dans la signification d'opinion, de jugement, de sentiment" François Joseph Michel Noël, Philologie française ou dictionnaire étymologique: critique, historique, anecdotique, littéraire, Père, 1831 p. 510. Eugene de Chambure, Glossaire du Morvan; Étude sur le langage de cette contrée comparé avec les principaux dialectes ou patois de la France, de la Belgique wallonne, et de la Suisse romande (1878), p. 324.
- All pages beginning with "Esme"
- All pages beginning with "Esmé"
- ESME Sudria
- Eşme, a town in Turkey
|This disambiguation page lists articles about people with the same name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.|