|Traded as||BSE: 500134
|Industry||Oil and gas|
|Key people||Ravi Ruia, Chairman
Lalit Gupta, MD,CEO
|Products||Petroleum, fuels, natural gas and other petrochemicals|
|Revenue||481.65 billion (US$7.4 billion) (2011)|
|Net income||21.55 billion (US$330 million) (2011)|
|Total assets||210.84 billion (US$3.2 billion) (2011)|
|Parent||Essar Energy plc|
Essar Oil (BSE: 500134, NSE: ESSAROIL) is an India-based company engaged in the exploration and production of oil and natural gas, refining of crude oil, and marketing of petroleum products. It is a part of the Essar Group based in Mumbai. It operates a major refinery in Vadinar, Gujarat, India, which made it the second largest non-state refiner in India in 2009.
In July 2009, Essar acquired a 50% stake in Kenya Petroleum Refineries Ltd. In July 2012, following Gujarat High Court's directions Gujarat Government seized three bank accounts of the company to recover its tax dues of Rs80 billion.
- "The 20 largest companies in India – Rediff.com Business". bseindia.com. Retrieved 2011-07-20.
- Essar Oil Ltd subsidiary of Essar Energy plc [LSE: ESSR, the India-focused integrated energy]
- "Essar May Rise After Report That Shell May Acquire 10% Stake". Bloomberg. 23 November 2009.
- Sharma, Rakesh (3 November 2009). "Essar Oil CEO: Exclusive Talks With Shell to End Nov. 30". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Gujarat govt attaches Essar Oil's bank accounts to recover tax dues". 9 July 2012.