|Genre||electronic dance music, house|
|Running time||2 Hours|
|Home station||Digitally Imported/Radio syndication|
|Starring||Pete Tong & various artists|
|Air dates||since January 1991|
It began in early 1991 and showcased the latest electronic dance music, with an emphasis on house. The show initially aired from 7.30pm to 10.00pm but was subject to scheduling adjustments over the subsequent fifteen years, varying in duration from 2 hours to 3.5 hours, broadcast within the timeframe from 6.00pm to 10.00pm. Since changing from a three hour show to two hour show on September 29, 2006, the show has been entitled simply, "Pete Tong" (although the feature "Essential New Tune" remains), and is currently broadcast from 9.00pm to 11.00pm.
In addition, a one hour Sunday edition of the programme was broadcast at 7.00pm from April 1992 to April 1993, also hosted by Tong, and called "The Essential Selection - Part 2".
Versions of the show are exported outside of the UK. In Vancouver, Canada, the show, under its original name, had been aired Saturday evenings from 8:00pm–10:00pm on The Beat 94.5FM, but has been taken off air since the Summer of 2008. In China, the show is aired Saturday evenings from 10:00pm–12:00pm (2:00pm - 4:00pm UTC) on CRI Hit FM under its original name from 5 May 2012. So it can be listened at Beijing (FM 88.7MHz) and Shanghai (FM 87.9MHz)
A regular feature of the show is Tong's designation of one track as the Essential New Tune of the week. Often, the track in question may be only available in white label releases at the time. This is a significant accolade within the dance music community, and a number of Essential New Tunes have gone on to become classics in terms of club play
List of Essential Selection albums, the chart numbers written next to the titles are their entry in the UK Compilation Chart The limited editions of the albums had to chart separately from the standard editions due to chart regulations. The limited editions are distinguished from the standard editions by a different cover and a third disc (standard editions have two discs).
- Pete Tong Essential Selection Summer 1997 (1997) (#4) (Orange cover)
- Pete Tong Essential Selection Winter 1997 (1997) (#10) (Light blue cover)
- Pete Tong Essential Selection Spring 1998 (#4) (Green cover)
- Pete Tong Essential Selection Summer 1998 (1998) (#4) (Red cover of strawberries)
- Pete Tong Essential Selection Summer 1998 (1998) (Limited Edition) (#2) (Yellow cover of strawberries, CD3 is Twelve Ibiza Classics mixed by Paul Oakenfold)
- Essential Selection '98 Tong/Oakenfold (1998) (#13) (Orange cover of oranges)
- Essential Selection '98 Tong/Oakenfold (1998) (Limited Edition) (#11) (Purple cover of tinted oranges, CD3 is mixed by Carl Cox)
- Carl Cox Non Stop 98/01 (1998) (#8) (Subtitled An Essential Album)
- Pete Tong Essential Selection Spring 1999 (1999) (#13) (Cover of gold, green and purple easter eggs)
- Pete Tong Essential Selection Spring 1999 (1999) (Limited Edition) (#3) (Gold cover of easter eggs, CD3 is Hacienda Classics mixed by Graeme Park)
- Pete Tong Essential Selection Ibiza 1999 (1999) (#11) (Cover of blue, red and yellow buckets and spades)
- Pete Tong Essential Selection Ibiza 1999 (1999) (#7) (Cover of green, purple and virdian bucket and spades, CD3 is mixed by DJ Pippi)
- Essential Millennium (1999) (#10) (Mixed by Pete Tong/Fatboy Slim/Paul Oakenfold)
- Pete Tong Essential Selection Spring 2000 (2000) (#8)
- Essential Selection Ibiza 2000 Mixed by Pete Tong (2000) (#11)
- Carl Cox Non Stop 2000 (2000) (#13)
- Essential Selection Vol. One Mixed by: Fatboy Slim & Paul Oakenfold (2000) (did not chart)
- Essential Selection Presents The Clubber's Bible (2000) (Pete Tong)
- Essential Selection Presents The Clubber's Bible II: The Second Coming (2001) (Pete Tong)
- Essential Selection Presents The Clubber's Bible Winter 2002 (2001) (Pete Tong)
- Essential Selection Presents The Clubber's Bible Winter 2003 (2002)
- Essential Selection Pete Tong (2003) (did not chart)
Notes and references
- "Frequency Finder" Classic Radio 1 Schedules 1991
- "Frequency Finder" Classic Radio 1 Schedules 1992
- "Essential Selection" The Beat 94.5FM, Vancouver, Canada. Retrieved 4 January 2008.
- "Essential Selection" CRI Hit FM, China. Retrieved 3 June 2012.
- Hannan, Rachael. "DJ Interviews: Yousef". Urban Planet. Retrieved 2006-12-05.
- "CR2 Records Celebrate 50 Releases - Mark Brown Interview". Dance Front Door. October 12, 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-05.[dead link]
- The Complete Book of the British Charts Singles and Albums Third Edition p.1275 (2003)