|(what is this?)|
Essentiale (polyenylphosphatidylcholine or PPC, with or without synergistic vitamins) is a preparation of essential phospholipids. Essentiale normalizes the metabolism of lipids and proteins, improves the detoxification function of the liver, restores the cellular structure of the liver and retards the producing of conjunctive tissue. Essentiale medications are indicated for the treatment of fatty degeneration of the liver, hepatitis (including toxic hepatitis, liver damage caused by medicines or alcohol abuse), cirrhosis of the liver, disturbances in liver function associated with different illnesses.[medical citation needed]
Phospholipids are essential structural components of all cellular membranes. Essential phospholipids (substance EPL) - are the complex substances of natural origin (ethers of cholinephosphoric acid (phosphatidylcholine) and unsaturated fatty acids (linoleic, linolenic, olein). Essentiale medications possess the membranotropic properties, metabolic and hepatoprotective action; regulates lipid and carbohydrate metabolism. Essential phospholipids increase functional status of the liver.
While the disturbance of the liver metabolism essential phospholipids ensure the entering the high energy phospholipids, which are ideally combined with the endogenous phospholipids. Under the Essentialle phospholipids influence clinical and biochemical liver indexes are improved.
Combination of Essentiale with cordiamin (nikethamide) and vitamin E (50 mg/kg for 35 days) considerably activates the mono-oxygenase, glucoro- and glutathione transferase systems of the liver: and as a result the free-radical processes became less intense.
The spectrum of essential phospholipids' activity in chronic degenerative liver diseases can be described in the following properties:
- recovery and maintaining the consistency of the hepatocytes;
- activation of the phospholipid-depending ferments;
- improvement in the lipids metabolism caused by accelerated synthesis of lipoproteins in the liver;
- activation of synthesis RNA and as a result the normalization of the proteins metabolism;
- increased synthesis of glycogen in the liver;
- improvement in the detoxification function of the liver;
- the conversion of neutral fats and cholesterol into the easily metabolizing forms;
- decreased the fatty infiltration of the hepatocytes.
Essentiale is used to treat the following diseases:
- Hepatitis(acute and chronic), toxic hepatitis, medicinal and alcoholic hepatitis, poisonings. Hepatic steatosis of different aetiology(in 53.6% of patients the effect of six-month treatment with Essentiale forte was very good (improvement of all investigated parameters) 
diabetes(the data suggests that Essentiale protects and improves liver function in diabetic subjects with non alcoholic fatty liver ) and chronic infections);
- Disturbance in liver function in somatic diseases;
- Hepatic cirrhosis;
- Necrosis of the liver cells, liver failure, liver coma;
- Pre- and Post- surgical treatment, especially in hepatobiliary area;
- Hyperlipoproteinemia, hypercholesterolemia, hypertriglyceridemia;
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system: coronary heart disease, stable stenocardia, post-infarction condition, disturbance of the cerebral and peripheral circulation, Hypertension, thrombembolia prophylaxis, atherosclerosis, diabetic angiopathy, thrombembolia prophylaxis and fat embolism(solution for injection);
- Digestive system diseases (chronic pancreatitis, gastric and duodenum ulcer;
- Toxicosis of pregnancy(edema, proteinuria и and blood pressure disorders);
- Radiation sickness (radiation syndrome);
- Psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, eczema;
- Pyelonephritis 
- Prophylaxis of micromegaly.
Essentiale medications are manufactured under 4 trade names:
ESSENTIALE- solution for intravenous injections in vials 5 ml. Essentiale contains essential phospholipids(EPL substance) 250 mg, Pyridoxine chidrochloride 2,5 mg (Vitamin B6), Cyanocobolamine 0,1 mg (Vitamin B12), Sodium Pantothenate 1.5 mg, Nicotinamide 25 mg
ESSENTIALE FORTE N- Capsules N30 or N100. One capsule contains essential phospholipids (EPL substance) 300 mg.
ESSENTIALE N. -solution for intravenous injection in vials 5 ml. Essentiale N contains essential phospholipids(EPL substance) 250 mg.
ESSENTIALE FORTE – capsules N50. Essentiale forte contains essential phospholipids(EPL substance) 300 mg, Thiamine mono nitrate(Vitamin B1)6 mg, Riboflavine(Vitamiin B2) 6 mg, Pyridoxine chidrochloride 6 mg(Vitamin B6), Cyanocobolamine 0.06 mg (Vitamin B12), Nicotinamide 30 mg, Tocopherole acetate 6 mg(Vitamin E).
Contradiction and cautions
Do not use Essentiale in hypersensitivity or allergy to any ingredients of the preparation. The application of Essentiale in newborn children is not safe. During pregnancy women are recommended to consult their health care provider prior to taking Essentiale.[medical citation needed]
Recommendation for storage
Capsules should be stored at temperature not more than 20 °C. Vials should be stored at 2° - 8 °C
According to research conducted by Bronx Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in 2003, phospholipids treatment did not affect progression of liver diseases in those who continued to drink heavily.
- IV Zverinskiĭ, VE Karpovich, MI Bushma, LF Legon'kova, NG Mel'nichenko, LI Nechiporenko, VS Nikitin (Jan–Feb 1998). "The action of Essentiale and its combination with cordiamine and vitamin E.". Eksp Klin Farmakol. (61(1):33-6): 212–214.
- "The effect of polyene phosphatidylcholine (Essentiale forte) in the treatment of liver steatosis and ultrasound findings--preliminary study." (133(12):366-9). Interní klińika, Institutu postgraduálního vzdélávání ve zdravotnictví, Praha. Jun 1994.
- Poongothai, K Karkuzhali, G Siva Prakash, T Sangeetha, G Saravanan, R Deepa, Sharadha Gopalakrishnan, V Mohan. S Poongothai. Int J Diab Dev Ctries (2005). "EFFECT OF ESSENTIALE IN DIABETIC SUBJECTS WITH NON - ALCOHOLIC FATTY LIVER".
- "The effect of laser therapy and its combination with essentiale on the course of stable stenocardia". Lik Sprava (0) 0: 72-4.
- AA Ovchinnikov, VE Tsvettsikh, BA Berdichevskiĭ, VN Lykov, VR Suktanbaev, AV Murychev (Jul–Aug 1996). "Essential phospholipids in the treatment of chronic pyelonephritis.". Urol Nefrol (Mosk).
- Lieber CS, Weiss DG, Groszmann R, Paronetto F, Schenker S;. "II. Veterans Affairs Cooperative Study of polyenylphosphatidylcholine in alcoholic liver disease.".