Essex Township, Kankakee County, Illinois
|Established||August 1, 1855|
|• Supervisor||Robert Bice|
|• Total||36.23 sq mi (93.8 km2)|
|• Land||35.64 sq mi (92.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.59 sq mi (1.5 km2) 1.63%|
|Elevation||584 ft (178 m)|
|• Density||41.5/sq mi (16.0/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||60424, 60481, 60913, 60917, 60935, 60941, 60961|
|GNIS feature ID||0428980|
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 36.23 square miles (93.8 km2), of which 35.64 square miles (92.3 km2) (or 98.37%) is land and 0.59 square miles (1.5 km2) (or 1.63%) is water.
Cities, towns, villages
- Reed Township, Will County (north)
- Custer Township, Will County (northeast)
- Salina Township (east)
- Pilot Township (southeast)
- Norton Township (south)
- Greenfield Township, Grundy County (west)
- Braceville Township, Grundy County (northwest)
The township contains these two cemeteries: North Essex and South Essex.
Airports and landing strips
- Lagrange Airport
- Rashs Acres Airport
The township is governed by an elected Town Board of a Supervisor and four Trustees. The Township also has an elected Assessor, Clerk, Highway Commissioner and Supervisor. The Township Office is located at 315 North Pine, Essex, IL 60935.
- Illinois' 11th congressional district
- State House District 75
- State Senate District 38
- Herscher Community Unit School District 2
- Reed Custer Community Unit School District 255U
- "Essex Township, Kankakee County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.