|Products||Oil and natural gas exploration, production, marketing|
Esso Australia is an Australian affiliate of ExxonMobil, the US based oil giant. Esso operates a number of oil and gas platforms in Bass Strait, south east of Melbourne, Australia, as well as a gas processing facility at Longford and Long Island Point (LIP) in Hastings.
Esso Australia operated retail petrol (gasoline) operations until 1990, when its stations were acquired by Mobil Australia.
Between 1933 and 1962 Esso was owned by Stanvac or Standard Oil. The trademark for Esso was first registered in 1937. After 1962 Esso's Australian operations were known as Esso Standard Oil (Australia) Pty Ltd.
On 25 September 1998, the Esso Longford gas explosion killed two and injured eight others. As Victoria's largest supplier of natural gas the aftermath was considerable with hundreds of thousands of homes affected. Many Victorians experienced 20 days without gas hot-water or heating. A Royal Commission was held finding Esso responsible for the accident.
In November 2012 there was a crude oil spill at Longford.
Esso is proceeding with plans to build a Gas Conditioning Plant adjacent to its existing facilities at Longford. The facility will remove carbon dioxide from natural gas and is being built in conjunction with BHP Billiton.
- "Esso history". Exxon Mobil. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- Becky Gaylord (6 December 2001). "'98 Accident At Gasworks Still Shadows Esso Australia". New York Times. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "EPA to probe Esso Longford oil spill". ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). 21 December 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "Longford Gas Conditioning Plant Project". Exxon Mobil. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- AAP (13 December 2012). "BHP and Esso to build Longford gas plant". The Courier-Mail (Queensland Newspapers). Retrieved 6 July 2013.
|This article about a natural gas or petroleum-related company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Australian corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|