Estádio Nacional Mané Garrincha
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Portuguese Wikipedia. (July 2013)|
|Estádio Nacional de Brasília Mané Garrincha|
External view of the Stadium
|Location||SRPN Estádio Nacional Mané Garrincha
Brasília, DF, Brazil
|Opened||March 10, 1974|
|Renovated||June 15, 2013|
|Owner||Terracap (pt) – Agência de Desenvolvimento do Distrito Federal|
|Construction cost||R$ 2 billion
US$ 900 million
EU€ 660 million
2013 FIFA Confederations Cup
2014 FIFA World Cup
2016 Summer Olympic Games
2019 Summer Universiade
Estádio Nacional de Brasília Mané Garrincha, also known as Estádio Nacional Mané Garrincha, Estádio Nacional de Brasília, Arena Mané Garrincha or simply Mane Garrincha, is a football stadium and arena multipurpose Brazil, located in Brasilia in Federal District. The stadium is one of several structures that comprise the Poliesportivo Ayrton Senna Complex, which also includes the Nilson Nelson Gymnasium and Nelson Piquet International Autodrome., among others. Opened in 1974, the stadium had a total capacity of 45,200 people. After the reconstruction of 2010 – 2013, the capacity was increased to 72,788 people, making it the second largest stadium in Brazil and one of the largest in South America, second only to Maracanã.
It was re-inaugurated on May 18, 2013 following renovations completed in preparation for the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup and 2014 FIFA World Cup. The original architect was Ícaro de Castro Mello. The project was completed at a cost of US$900 million, against an original budget of US$300 million, making the stadium the second-most expensive football stadium in the world after England's Wembley Stadium.
Estádio Nacional Mané Garrincha is owned by the Department of Sports, Physical Education and Recreation of Distrito Federal. The name is a homage to the football legend Mané Garrincha, who won the 1958 and 1962 World Cup with the Brazil national team.
In 1974, the works on Estádio Mané Garrincha were completed. It was built when Garrincha was approximately 40 years old. The inaugural match was played on March 10 of that year, when Corinthians beat CEUB 2–1. The first goal of the stadium was scored by Corinthians' Vaguinho.
On March 2, 1996 he received the last concert of the legendary Brazilian band Mamonas Assassinas, after it the group suffered an airplane accident which left no survivors.
The stadium's attendance record currently stands at 51,200, set on December 20, 1998 when Gama beat Londrina 3–0 at the 1998 Série B final, which gave Gama its first national trophy and consequent promotion to Série A in 1999.
- 'March 10, 1975 ': Official inauguration of the Stadium named after Governor Helium Prates da Silveira, who attended with the first football game of stadium, between the Corinthians and the CEUB, resulting in the favor of Corinthians with the score of 2–1.
- 'Decade of 1980 ': The Stadium Governor Helium Prates da Silveira is renamed to Mane Garrincha stadium.
- 'June 18, 1988 ': The Band Urban Legion performs the first show of an artist on stadium, in what became to be known as one of the more troubled episodes in the career of the group.
- 'July 18, 2007 ': The governor, Jose Roberto Arruda announces that the reconstruction of the stadium should be begun in 2007 and completed in 2009. The intentions are that the new syadium would become the largest stadium in America and one of the largest in the world, with approximately 100,000 seats.
- "18 February 2009 ": Public Hearing reveals new information about the reconstruction of the stadium, including the prediction of the beginning of works – July 2009.
- " 'May 18, 2009 ': Governor Arruda presents the CBF changes in the design of the stadium.
- 'May 31, 2009 ': FIFA announces the 12 cities to host the 2014 World Cup. Brasilia appears in the list.
- "26 February 2010 ": The bidding to reconstruct the stadium is canceled by the Court of Auditors of the Federal District.
- "5 May 2010 ": IS started dismantling the Mane Garrincha stadium to give space to its reconstruction.
- 'July 7, 2010 ': The consortium formed by builders (Anrade Gutierrez) and Track Engineering wins the bid to reform the stadium.
- 'December 13, 2010 ': Works the stage follow for the step of foundations.
- 'May 15, 2011 ': After two unsuccessful attempts to demolish the still standing the Mane Garrincha stadium, consortium decided to continue with mechanical demolition.
- 'October 6, 2011 ': FIFA confirms Brasilia as host city of the opening of the Confederations Cup.
- 'February 8, 2012 ': With construction of the pillars running, works reach 50% completion.
- 'August 28, 2012 ': With 72% of the work completed, Mane Garrincha concludes ring of pillars of the structure.
- 'September 28, 2012 ': 76% of work is completed after finalization of the bleachers.
- 'October 4, 2012 ': Secopa-DF confirms that all the chairs of the stadium will be red.
- 'October 29, 2012 ': The GDF, through the Secretariat of Social Communication of the Federal District, announces that the stadium is 81% completed.
- 'November 27, 2012 ': beside the new stages of Manaus, Curitiba and Natal, Brasilia is a candidate to receive games of state championships of Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo.
- 'December 11, 2012 ': With 84% of completed works, stage continues in the process of installing the cover.
- 'January 7, 2013 ': Finalized the process of lifting cables of coverage, works reach 87% completion.
- "20 February 2013 ": starts the installation of membrane to cover the stage.
- 'March 26, 2013 ': The last module of the coverage of the stadium is installed. Works reach 94% completion.
- 'April 5, 2013 ': GDF discloses note reaffirming that the official name of the arena will not be changed to National Stadium of Brasilia due to a supposed requirement of FIFA.
- 'April 15, 2013 ': The inauguration of the stadium is postponed to 18 May due to delays in the installation of turf.
- 'April 27, 2013 ': The first rolls of grass come to the stadium.
- 'April 30, 2013 ': Planting the lawn of the stadium is completed.
- "18 May 2013 ": With presence of president Dilma Rousseff, in addition to the governor of Federal District Agnelo Queiroz and several other national and local authorities, the stadium is officially reopened. In the afternoon there was the opening match for the Championship final Brasiliense Candangão, between Brasilia and Brasiliense, which resulted in the victory of the Brasiliense by 3–0.
- "26 May 2013 ": As the second and last event-test before the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup, the stadium received the opening match of the Brazilian Championship between Santos and Flamengo, which eventually resulted in a score of 0 to 0, but broke the record for the public stage and fundraising throughout the history of Brazil.
- ' June 15, 2013 ': The stadium received the opening of 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup, and the first game of the championship: Brazil 3 vs. 0 Japan, with goals of Neymar, Paulinho and Jô. The game broke the stadium's attendance record for the public stage: more than 67,000 fans attended.
- ' June 15, 2014 ': The stadium received the first game at the headquarters Brasilia of 2014 FIFA World Cup, Switzerland 2 vs. 1 Ecuador
- Legião Urbana: The band brasiliense made an official presentation at the stadium in June 1988 . There were many unforeseen and confusion with the public than 50,000 people, including home-made bombs that were thrown towards the stage, precipitating the end of the show. Hundreds of young people were hospitalized and many decided to publicly burn discs of Legaio Urbana. Because of this incident, the band never performed in there hometown.
- Information Society: On tour in Brazil, after the success in Rock in Rio, of 1991, the group of synth-pop American presented in that same year in stage.
- Mamonas Assassinas: The quintet Guarulhos held at the stage the last presentation of there career on March 2, 1996. After the show, they went to the airport and boarded the plane with prefix PT-LSD, which crashed into the Serra da Cantareira at 23:16 the same day, killing all its crew, leaving Brazil in mourning for a week.
- Lenny Kravitz: singer and guitarist American if presented in the stadium in his first tour in Brazil. Lenny Kravitz, who was in the tour of the disc " Baptism" (released 2004 ), touched at the stage to March 19, 2005 .
- RBD: 2006, the band show Mexican the city " RBD Tour Brazil 2006" took about 25 thousand fans to Mane Garrincha stadium.
- Iron Maiden: Since coming to Brazil for the first time, the first Rock in Rio in January 1985, the English band of heavy metal never presented at the federal capital. In the touring world Somewhere Back in Time, the group realized the dream of fans brasilienses ringing for 25 thousand people in the stadium on March 20, 2009, in its eighth tour in Brazil.
- Black Eyed Peas: In October 22, 2010, the group American landed in the city for a show in the parking lot of the stadium, tour The E. N. D. World Tour. About 12 thousand people attended.
- The Pop Music Festival 2011 : The festival pop, organized by singer Shakira, brought this and also the artists Train, Chimarruts (pt), Ziggy Marley and Fatboy Slim for a show in the parking lot of the stadium, March 17, 2011 . However, due to an unusual temporal, which fell on the city, the show was rebooked for March 24, this time relying on the presence of Shakira, Train and Chimarruts. Approximately 15,000 people attended the event, at day 24.
- Renato Russo: The stadium hosted in June 29, 2013 the show "Renato Russo Symphonic", in tribute to the singer and leader of the rock band Urban Legion, who died in 1996. The event was a hologram of the singer in the song "For Some Time" and had the participation of other artists such as Lobão, Zelia Duncan, Luíza Worklessness, Zizi came into view Worklessness, Sandra Sá and Ivete Sangalo have been confirmed, among others.
- Beyonce: The singer American made the first international show of the new National Stadium Mane Garrincha on September 17, 2013 for an audience of about 30 thousand people. The show was part of their tour The Mrs. Carter Show World Tour.
- Aerosmith: The us band made a presentation at the stadium on the day October 23, 2013 as part of its world tour Global Warming Tour.About 25 thousand people were present.
- Circuit Banco do Brasil: The Step Brasilia festival took place in the parking lot of the stadium on the day December 7, 2013. At the festival there were presentations from artists such as Stevie Wonder, Jason Mraz, Ivete Sangalo have been confirmed, among others.
2013 FIFA Confederations Cup
|Date||Time (UTC-03)||Team #1||Res.||Team #2||Round||Attendance|
|June 15, 2013||16:00||Brazil||3–0||Japan||Group A||67,423|
2014 FIFA World Cup
The Mané Garrincha Stadium was demolished in 2010 to give way to a new stadium with a capacity of 72,788 fans and in order to reach the requirements for the 2014 World Cup, which will be held in Brazil. The stadium was renamed in early 2010 to the Estádio Nacional Mané Garrincha and the construction began in April of the same year. The reconstruction involves dismantling the lower tier and retaining the upper tier into the new rectangular bowl, and reducing the size of the playing field so that the stadium can be a football-specific stadium.
|Date||Time (UTC-03)||Team #1||Res.||Team #2||Round||Attendance|
|June 15, 2014||13:00||Switzerland||2–1||Ecuador||Group E||68,351|
|June 19, 2014||13:00||Colombia||2–1||Ivory Coast||Group C||68,748|
|June 23, 2014||17:00||Cameroon||1–4||Brazil||Group A||69,112|
|June 26, 2014||13:00||Portugal||2–1||Ghana||Group G||67,540|
|June 30, 2014||13:00||France||2–0||Nigeria||Round of 16||67,882|
|July 5, 2014||13:00||Argentina||1–0||Belgium||Quarter-finals||68,551|
|July 12, 2014||17:00||Brazil||0–3||Netherlands||Third place match||68,034|
2016 Summer Olympics
The Government of the Federal District (GDF) has proposed several works of improvement for the Central Zone of Brasilia after the reconstruction of the stadium, the additional cost of R$360 million, with completion scheduled for 2015, among them:
- Underground Tunnel linking the Choro Club and the City Park Dona Sarah Kubitschek;
- Underground Tunnel linking the National Stadium Mane Garrincha and Convention Center Ulysses Guimaraes,
- Improvement in visual communication of the entire Multisports Complex Ayrton Senna,
- New substation of Energy Company of Brasilia;
- Line 2 of tramway of Brasilia;
- Jumper between tracks W4 North/South and W5 North/South;
Urban Project of Burle Marx
Between the interventions planned in the Central Area of Brasilia, near the National Stadium Mane Garrincha, is the implementation of Urban Project of Roberto Burle Marx, WHICH provides for an improvement in landscaping between the Road Pilot Plan, and the TV Tower of Brasilia through The construction of water mirrors, bike paths, sidewalks, gardens and benches.
- Enciclopédia do Futebol Brasileiro, Volume 2 – Lance, Rio de Janeiro: Aretê Editorial S/A, 2001.
- "High cost, corruption claims mar Brazil World Cup". Washington Post. May 12, 2014. Retrieved May 12, 2014. This is the second-most expensive football stadium in the world. The original budget was US$300 million.
- "Copa do Mundo da FIFA 2014" (in Portuguese). Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- "Five sad and shocking facts about World Cup corruption in Brazil". Washington Post. May 12, 2014. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- "O Mané Garrincha – O palco da Copa em Brasília" (in Portuguese). copa2014.turismo.gov.br. Retrieved April 28, 2013.
- "Nos pênaltis, MS/Saad conquista primeiro título da competição". Gazeta Esportiva. Retrieved December 10, 2007.[dead link]
- "Governor confirms arena name: Estádio Nacional Mané Garrincha" (in Portuguese). copa2014.gov.br. Retrieved January 27, 2012.
- Daniel Cariello (June 16, 2006). /OVERBLOG/LEGIAO -urban-in-brasilia-18-years-after "Urban Legion in Brasilia: 18 years after".
- /resenhaeletronica/MostraMateria .asp?page= &cod= 390211 "New stadium will be ready by the end of 2009".
- /NOTICIAS/NOVOS -details-on-the-new-stage-mane-garrincha.html "News on the reform of the Mane Garrincha stadium". February 18, 2009.
- [url=http://www.brasilia2014.com.br/projetos/mudancas-no-projeto-do-estadio-mane-garrincha-em-brasilia-para-a-copa-do-mundo-do-brasil-de-2014.html "News on the reform of Mane Garrincha stadium"]. Portal Brasilia 2014. May 29, 2009.
- Thales Calipo (May 31, 2009). /FUTEBOL/ULTIMAS -NOTICIAS /2009/05/31/ULT59U198679.jhtm "No surprises, Fifa announces headquarters of the World Cup 2014".
- /NOTICIAS/CANCELADA -bid.-to-reform-on-stage-mane-garrincha.html "Canceled bidding for reform in Mane Garrincha stadium". Portal Brasilia 2014. February 26, 2010.
- /noticias/2804/ATRASADA BRASILIA LANKA EDICT OF ARENA OF COPA.html "Delayed, Brasilia launches edict of arena Cup". Portal 2014. May 5, 2010.
- /PROJETOS/ANDRADE -and-via-expire-bid.-the-stage-of-brasilia.html "Andrade and Track wins the bidding Stage of Brasilia". Portal Brasilia 2014. July 7, 2010.
- /noticias/5934/OBRAS THE MANE GARRINCHA FOLLOW TO STEP OF FUNDACOES.html "Works of Mane Garrincha follow to step foundations". Portal 2014. December 13, 2010.
- /noticias/7059/APOS FRUSTRATED ATTEMPT DEMOLICAO THE MANE GARRINCHA IS WITHOUT DATA.html "After unsuccessful attempt, demolition of Mane Garrincha is without date". Portal 2014. May 17, 2011.
- /noticias/8189/FIFA CONFIRMS BRASILIA AT THE OPENING OF THE CUP OF CONFEDERACOES.html "Fifa confirms Brasilia in opening the Confederations Cup". Portal 2014. October 6, 2011.
- /noticias/9038/BRASILIA STANDS FOREST OF PILLARS IN THE STADIUM CUP SEE FOTOS.html "Brasilia stands "forest of pillars" in the stadium Cup; see pictures". Portal 2014. February 8, 2012.
- /noticias/10612/COM 72 WORKS MANE GARRINCHA CONCLUDES RING OF PILLARS OF ESTRUTURA.html "With 72% of the works, Mane Garrincha concludes ring of pillars of the structure". Portal 2014. August 28, 2012.
- /noticias/10802/APOS CONCLUSION THE BLEACHERS ESTADIO DE BRASILIA REACHES 76.HTML "After conclusion of the bleachers, stadium of Brasilia reaches 76%". Portal 2014. September 28, 2012.
- /noticias/10840/SECOPADF CONFIRMS CHAIRS RED BUT DENIES CHOICE POLITICA.html "Secopa-DF confirms red chairs, but belies "political choice"". Portal 2014. October 4, 2012.
- /noticias/10965/COM 81 WORKS MANE GARRINCHA PREPARES TO MOUNT THE COBERTURA.html "With 81% of the works, Mane Garrincha prepares to mount the cover". Portal 2014. October 29, 2012.
- /noticias/11088/ELEFANTE WHITE BRASILIA EITHER RECEIVE GAMES OF STATE OF RJ AND SP.html "white Elephant? Brasilia want to receive games of state of RJ and SP". Portal 2014. November 27, 2012.
- /noticias/11172/MANE GARRINCHA 84 CONCLUDED FOLLOWS THE PHASE OF ICAMENTO OF COBERTURA.html "Mane Garrincha, 84% completed, follows the phase of lifting the cover". Portal 2014. December 11, 2012.
- /noticias/11241/ORCADO IN MORE THAN R 1 BILHAO MANE GARRINCHA REACHES 87 OF OBRAS.html "Budgeted at more than R$1 billion, Mane Garrincha reaches 87% of the works". Portal 2014. January 7, 2013.
- /noticias/11419/MANE GARRINCHA STARTS INSTALLATION OF MEMBRANE OF COBERTURA.html "Mane Garrincha starts installation of membrane coverage". Portal 2014. February 20, 2013.
- /noticias/11528/INSTALADO THE LAST MODULE OF THE COVERAGE OF MANE GARRINCHA.html "Installed the last module of the coverage of Mane Garrincha". Portal 2014. March 26, 2013.
- /noticias/11553/FIFA WOULD HAVE VETOED NAME MANE GARRINCHA IN BRASILIA BUT GDF NEGA.html "Fifa would have vetoed name Mane Garrincha in Brasilia, but GDF denies". Portal 2014. April 5, 2013.
- /noticias/11598/GRAMADO SLOWS AND INAUGURACAO THE MANE GARRINCHA WILL BE ON DAY 18 MAIO.html "Lawn slows and inauguration of the Mane Garrincha will be on 18 May". Portal 2014. April 15, 2013.
- /noticias/11663/MANE GARRINCHA TERA TURF THIS WEDNESDAY ENSURES GOVERNO.html "Mane Garrincha will pitch Wednesday, ensures government". Portal 2014. April 29, 2013.
- /noticias/11673/PLANTIO TURF OF MANE GARRINCHA AND LASTLY CONCLUIDO.html "Planting the lawn of Mane Garrincha is, finally, complete". Portal 2014. May 1, 2013.
- "Informatio Society back to the city to remind their hits and show new music". Correio Braziliense. July 7, 2012. Retrieved April 13, 2014.
- SEE (March 2, 2011). /MULTIMIDIA/GALERIA -photos/mamonas-killer "Mamonas killer".
- /Noticias/Musica/0 "AA1285264-7085,00.html "RBD GATHERS 25 THOUSAND IN Mane Garrincha stadium, IN BRASILIA". G1. September 25, 2006. Retrieved May 26, 2013.
- /REVIEWS/REVIEWS -DE-SHOWS /2009/IRON -maiden-Brasilia-mane-garrincha-review/ "Iron Maiden – Brasilia – Mane Garrincha – Review". Magazine MovinUp. March 21, 2009. Retrieved May 26, 2013.
- Peter Brandt (October 22, 2010). "Black Eyed Peas takes 12 thousand people to parking the Mane Garrincha".
- /CULTURA/NOTICIAS/2011/03/25/SHAKIRA -if-presents-for-15-thousand-people-in-Brasilia/ "Shakira is presented for 15 thousand people in Brasilia". March 25, 2011.
- Portal Land. March 1, 2013 Garrincha receive show with hologram of Renato Russo http://esportes.terra.com.br/futebol/mane-garrincha-recebera-show-com-holograma-de-renato-russo,f00550a686f1d310VgnCLD20 Garrincha receive show with hologram of Renato Russo
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- "Bey faces rain and repeated performance of funkeira in DF". G1. September 18, 2013. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- [Correio Braziliense]. October 24, 2013 without all hits, Aerosmith raises public Stadium in Mane Garricha http://www.correiobraziliense.com.br/app/noticia/cidades/2013/10/24/interna_cidadesdf,395064/mesmo-sem-todos-os-hits-aer without all hits, Aerosmith raises public Stadium in Mane Garricha
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved October 24, 2013.
- /2013/BLOGS/VALEU -Brasilia/ "Worth, Brasilia!". Circuit Bank of Brazil. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- Rio2016.org.br bid package. Volume 2. p. 23.
- G1.com.br. November 10, 2012 R$ 360 mi in DF for the Cup should end only in 2015 http://g1.globo.com/distrito-federal/noticia/2012/11/obras-de-r-360-mi-no-df-para-copa-de-2014-devem-terminar-em-2015.ht R$ 360 mi in DF for the Cup should end only in 2015
|url=missing title (help).
- Daniela Novais (March 15, 2013). authorises resume of bidding for works in the vicinity of Mane Garrincha http://camaraempauta.com.br/portal/artigo/ver/id/4387/nome/TCDF_autoriza_retomada_de_licitacao_para_obras_no_entorno_do_ authorises resume of bidding for works in the vicinity of Mane Garrincha. Retrieved April 1, 2013. Missing or empty
- /CADASTROS/NOTICIAS/2013/3/29/REFORCO -against-the-apagoes "Strengthening against the blackouts". Content Clipping MP. March 29, 2013. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- Almiro Marcos (March 22, 2013). Correio Braziliense landscape of Burle Marx is resumed in the Monumental Axis http://correiobraziliense.lugarcerto.com.br/app/noticia/ultimas/2013/03/22/interna_ultimas,46610/projeto-paisagistico-de landscape of Burle Marx is resumed in the Monumental Axis
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved April 1, 2013.
|Find more about Estádio Nacional Mané Garrincha at Wikipedia's sister projects|
|Media from Commons|
|Database entry Q47563 on Wikidata|