Esteban with AZ in 2011
|Full name||Esteban Alvarado Brown|
|Date of birth||28 April 1989|
|Place of birth||Siquirres, Costa Rica|
|Height||1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|2007–2009||Costa Rica U20||7||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 5 May 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
In December 2009, AZ signed the Costa Rican goalkeeper from Deportivo Saprissa, the youngster moved to the Netherlands in July 2010. Following his signing for AZ, Alvarado remained a backup goalkeeper for AZ behind Joey Didulica and Sergio Romero. Following the 2010–2011 Season, Alvarado became a first choice goalkeeper for AZ after Sergio Romero's departure to Sampdoria and Joey Didulica's unexpected retirement.
KNVB Cup incident
On 21 December 2011, Alvarado was sent off by Bas Nijhuis in a KNVB Cup match against Ajax after an Ajax supporter tried attacking him. A 19-year-old Ajax fan who had been drinking entered the pitch after 36 minutes of play, ran towards the AZ goalkeeper and attempted to kick him but slipped to the ground. Alvarado then kicked the attacker twice. He was sent off for violent conduct, prompting AZ manager Gertjan Verbeek to order his players to the dressing rooms in protest. The game was consequently abandoned. The KNVB subsequently rescinded the red card, and Ajax banned him from all of their home matches for life. The supporter who tried to attack him was identified as Wesley van W, 19, and was sentenced to six months in prison, with two months suspended. He will also have to undergo treatment for an alcohol problem and report to police during all AZ, Ajax and Dutch national team matches for the next two years. The KNVB ordered the match replayed in its entirety behind closed doors. On 19 January 2012, the match was played again with Alvarado in goal, and AZ beat Ajax 3–2 to progress through the quarter final.
At the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup, he was named the best goalkeeper of the tournament. He made his national team début in an August 2010 friendly match against Paraguay. In March 2014, he ruled out a selection for the 2014 FIFA World Cup due to an apparent strife with national team manager Jorge Luis Pinto.
- 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup: Golden Glove Award
- The Associated Press (21 December 2011). "Ajax Dutch cup match against AZ Alkmaar halted after fan runs onto field". Winnipeg Free Press. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Ajax vs AZ abandoned after goalkeeper Esteban Alvarado gets sent off for kicking pitch invader". Goal.com. 21 December 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Ajax and AZ Alkmaar match abandoned after goalkeeper kicks fan". The Guardian. 21 December 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Dutch FA rescind Esteban red card for confronting pitch invader". sportsillustrated.com. 22 December 2011. Retrieved 12–01–21.
- "PITCH INVADER WHO KICKED AZ ALKMAAR KEEPER ESTEBAN ALVARADO JAILED FOR SIX MONTHS". Off The Post. 30 December 2011. Retrieved 11 March 2012.
- "Ajax 2–3 AZ: Hosts sent crashing out of KNVB Beker after defeat to league rivals". Goals.com. 19 January 2012. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- Esteban Alvarado – FIFA competition record
- Posible pase de Esteban al AZ Alkmaar se definirá en enero
- Esteban sluit deelname WK uit - AD (Dutch)
- Voetbal International profile (Dutch)