Estes Express Lines
|Founded||Chase City, Virginia, 1931|
|Headquarters||Richmond, Virginia, United States|
|Number of locations||214 terminals|
|Key people||Robey W. Estes, Jr. (President and CEO)|
Volume & Truckload
|Divisions||Estes Level2 Logistics
|Subsidiaries||Estes Forwarding Worldwide|
Estes Express Lines is a full-service freight transportation provider based in Richmond, Virginia, in the United States. Founded in 1931 by W.W. Estes, the company is still owned and operated by the Estes family. Robey W. Estes, Jr., became the company’s president in 1990, then chairman and CEO in 2001.
Estes has grown from a small local carrier into the largest privately held less-than-truckload (LTL) company in the United States. It currently has about 13,000 employees, more than 6,000 tractors and 22,000 trailers, and a network of 200+ terminals.
- 1931 – W.W. Estes begins serving customers with a used Chevrolet truck.
- 1933 – First home office opens in Chase City, Virginia.
- 1937 – Company officially adopts the name Estes Express Lines.
- 1938 – Branch terminals open in Richmond, Virginia, and Norfolk, Virginia.
- 1946 – Home office moves to Richmond, Virginia.
- 1965 – Estes ventures into interstate trucking through the purchase of Coastal Freight Lines.
- 1971 – Robey Estes, Sr., becomes Estes’ president.
- 1980 – Company’s operating authority extends everywhere east of the Mississippi River.
- 1990 – Robey Estes, Jr., becomes Estes’ president.
- 1996 – Estes begins offering service to Canada.
- 1999 – First terminal west of the Mississippi River opens in St. Louis, Missouri.
- 2000 – Estes adds Caribbean services for direct coverage to Puerto Rico, St. Croix and St. Thomas.
- 2003 – Service begins to major commercial markets in Mexico.
- 2004 – Estes expands its Caribbean service to additional tourism and commercial markets.
- 2005 – Company adds real-time technology to connect customers, trucks and docks.
- 2008 – Estes completes its nationwide footprint establishing direct coverage to all 50 states.
- 2011 – Estes Express Lines marks its 80th anniversary.
- 2012 - Estes launches Estes Level2 Logistics bringing you premier supply chain services for business-to-business (B2B) and business-to-consumer (B2C) logistics.
- 2012 - Estes launches Estes SureMove, the smart alternative to full-service household moving.
- 1. Estes Express Lines: Our History - http://www.estes-express.com/about-us/our-history.html
- 3. Estes Express Lines: 2011 Estes History Brochure - http://www.estes-express.com/about-us/history_brochure.html