Esther Pohl Lovejoy
Esther Pohl Lovejoy (November 16, 1869 – August 31, 1967) was an American physician, public health pioneer, suffrage activist, congressional candidate, and a central figure in early efforts to organize international medical relief work. She was born Esther Clayson in a lumber camp near Seabeck, Washington, and received almost no formal early education. Despite this, she became only the second woman to graduate from University of Oregon's medical school (1894), and was among the founders and served as first president of the Medical Women's International Association (1919). She was awarded the Elizabeth Blackwell Medal in 1951 and 1957.
She created the Everybody's Equal Suffrage League ahead of the 1912 election, when Oregon became the 7th state to grant women the right to vote.
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2014)|
- "Lovejoy, Esther Pohl". Hutchinson Dictionary of American History. Abingdon Helicon. 2005. p. 257. (ISBN 9781423711193).
- "History: Foundation of the Medical Women's International Association". MWIA (Official website). Dortmund, Germany: Medical Women's International Association. 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- "Esther Pohl Lovejoy, M.D.: A Global Vision for Women in Medicine and International Medical Relief". Symposium Announcement, WOU Website. Monmouth, Oregon: Western Oregon University. 2006. Archived from the original on 2006-09-02. Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- Jensen, Kimberly (2012). Oregon's Doctor to the World: Esther Pohl Lovejoy and a Life in Activism. Seattle: University of Washington Press.
- 'Neither Head nor Tail to the Campaign': Esther Pohl Lovejoy and the Oregon Woman Suffrage Victory of 1912 by Kimberly Jensen, Oregon Historical Quarterly Fall 2007
- Jensen, Kimberly. "Esther Clayson Pohl Lovejoy (1869-1967)". The Oregon Encyclopedia.
- Certain Samaritans. New York: [The Macmillan Company]. 1927.
|This Oregonian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|