The front cover of a contemporary Estonian biometric passport
The information page of a contemporary Estonian biometric passport
|Date first issued||May 22, 2007|
|Type of document||Passport|
|Eligibility requirements||Estonian citizenship|
|Expiration||5 years after issuance|
In conformity with the standard European Union design, Estonian passports are burgundy, with the Estonian Coat of arms emblazoned in the centre of the front cover. The words "EUROOPA LIIT" (English: European Union) and "EESTI" (English: Estonia) are inscribed above the coat of arms and the word "PASS" (English: Passport) is inscribed below the coat of arms. Estonian passports have the standard biometric symbol at the bottom.
Identity Information Page
The biodata page of an Estonian passport includes the following information:
- Photo of the passport holder
- Type (P for ordinary passports)
- Code of Issuing State (EST)
- Passport number
- 1 Surname
- 2 Given Names
- 3 Citizenship (Eesti/Est)
- 4 Date of Birth
- 5 Personal Identification No.
- 6 Sex
- 7 Place of Birth
- 8 Date of Issue
- 9 Authority
- 10 Date of Expiry
- 11 Holder's Signature
The information page ends with the Machine Readable Zone starting with P<EST.
Estonian passports issued between February 2002 and May 2007 contain a note from the issuing state that is addressed to the authorities of all other states, identifying the bearer as a citizen of that state and requesting that he or she be allowed to pass and be treated according to international norms. The note inside Estonian passports states:
- The holder of this passport is under the protection of the Republic of Estonia. The Government of the Republic of Estonia hereby requests all civil and military authorities to permit the holder of this passport to pass freely without let or hindrance and in case of need to give all lawful aid and protection.
For Estonian citizens, apart from ordinary passports, diplomatic and service passports are also issued for those who qualify for possession of such documents.
Possession of a biometric passport is a pre-requisite for Estonians who want to qualify for the Visa Waiver Program for travel to the United States by registering via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization.
Starting from June 2009, all applicants for an Estonian passport are required to provide their fingerprints to be stored on the biometric chip in their passports.
- List of passports
- Estonian ID card
- Estonian nationality law
- Visa requirements for Estonian citizens
- Visa requirements for Estonian non-citizens
- Passports of the European Union
References and notes