She was born on July 7, 1966 in Budapest, Hungary to István Bálint.
She first emerged as a child member of the avant-garde Squat Theatre troupe before making her cinematic debut in 1984 in director Jim Jarmusch's independent film Stranger Than Paradise. She appeared in the 1990 film Bail Jumper. Roles in The Linguini Incident, Woody Allen's Shadows and Fog and Steve Buscemi's Trees Lounge followed.
In 1985 she made her TV debut in Miami Vice. She played Dorothy Bain in the episode "Buddies" which aired November 1, 1985. In 2014 Balint appeared as Amia, a violin-playing Hungarian love interest for Louis C.K. on the latter's FX sitcom, Louie.
Balint is an accomplished musician whose two releases, Flicker and Mud, both produced by JD Foster, were praised by The New York Times, The New Yorker, and Billboard Magazine. In his review of Mud, Jon Pareles writes: "Miss Balint has her own film noir sensibility as a songwriter. She puts arty twists into back-alley Americana... but the cleverness is not the point. She slips inside her characters to project their restlessness and longing."
Balint has appeared on recordings by Michael Gira's Angels of Light, Marc Ribot's Los Cubanos Postizos and John Lurie's Marvin Pontiac's Greatest Hits, Dayna Kurtz, and the Swans. She was a featured guest member of Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog touring Europe throughout 2009 and is featured on their 2013 release "Your Turn."
- "Who Plays Amia on Louie? publisher=Bustle". May 26, 2014.
- "Stephan Balint, 64, a Founder of the Squat Theater, Dies". The New York Times. December 2, 2007.
- "Who Plays Amia on Louie?". Bustle. May 26, 2014.
- "Louis C.K. Pays a Subtle Tribute to Jim Jarmusch". Slate. May 20, 2014.
- "CRITIC'S CHOICE/New CD's; Restless Heroines In Moody Dramas". The New York Times. March 15, 2004.
- Eszter Balint at the Internet Movie Database
- Eszter Balint at AllMovie
- Official website
- SiouxWIRE interview interview + profile
|This article about a United States film actor or actress born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|