The former state of Yugoslavia maintained diplomatic ties with Ethiopia and shared membership of the NAM bloc. Josip Broz Tito granted Haile Selassie I the title of honorary citizen of the city of Belgrade. The first vessel of the Ethiopian Navy was a gift from Yugoslavia, and as a sign of thanks Marshal Tito was given a villa in Addis Ababa which is now the Serbian Embassy.
On January 27, 2012, after travelling to Addis Ababa in order to reaffirm Ethiopia's stance on Kosovo regarding Serbia, Vuk Jeremić and Haile Mariam signed a memorandum of understanding between the two nations' ministries of foreign affairs.
In March 2011, as a result of a meeting between Serbian manufacturer IMR-Industrija motora Rakovica announced it would begin exporting tractor frames and motors to Ethiopia for assembly. The first of the partially assembled tractors from Rakovica arrived in Ethiopia in May 2011.
- Serbian Ministry of Foreign Affairs about relations with Algeria
- Serbian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: direction of the Serbian embassy in Adis Abeba
- Serbian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: direction of the Ethiopian embassy in Rome
- Novi Magazin - Pocasni Gradjani
- B92 - Putovanja - Etiopija: Zelena Afrika (Serbian) April 13, 2010
- RTV - January 27, 2012 - Potpisan memorandum o saradnji Srbije i Etiopije (Serbian)
- B92 Biz - IMR: U Etiopiju idu 15.000 traktora - March 22, 2012
- Kurir - May 18, 2011 - Prvi traktori iz IMR-a krenuli put Etiopije