Ethipothala Water Falls
|Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Location||Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Total height||70 feet (21 m)|
Ethipothala Falls is a 70 feet (21 m) high river cascade, situated on the Chandravanka river, a tributary of the River Krishna. The waterfall is a combination of three streams namely Chandravanka Vagu, Nakkala Vagu and Tummala Vagu. It is situated about 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) from Nagarjuna Sagar Dam. The river then joins the Krishna river after the dam after traveling about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) from the falls. A strategic view point was created by Andhra Pradesh Tourism Department from the adjacent hillock. There are Ranganatha and Dattatreya temples in the vicinity. There is a crocodile breeding centre in the lagoon formed by the falls.
Meaning of Ethipothala and Confusion
Ethipothala - The Legend is that "Yathis" and "Rishis" did Penance here so the place got the name "ETITAPOSTHAL" - Place where Yathis did penance or it also means - In Sankrit ITI (iti) MEANS this Tapas (tápas) in Sanskrit means "heat" literally "heat", refers to a personal endeavor of discipline, undertaken to achieve a goal" Sthal - (the place). Yathi - One who strives with pertinacity of purpose", synonymous to a spiritual person, yogi or monk.
There are two popular things which are referred to as "Ethipothala" in Andhra Pradesh state.
- Ethipothala Padhakam: This is Government's Lift Irrigation Scheme (LIS). The administration and media in Andhra Pradesh translate "Lift Irrigation Scheme" from English in to Telugu as "Ethipothala Padhakam".
- Ethipothala Falls : The name of waterfall described in this page.
The confusion: Ethipothala in Telugu Language means "lift and pour". So people assume that "Ethipothala Falls" are part of Lift Irrigation Scheme. But as far as "Ethipothala Falls" are concerned it has nothing to do with Government's "Ethipothala Padhakam".
The reasons for this confusion is because
- The administration and media in AP widely use the term "Ethipothala Padhakam" to refer to Lift Irrigation Scheme (LIS).
- Both terms are related to water bodies like rivers, falls, canals etc.
- There is a Major Irrigation Project Nagarjuna Sagar located very nearby Ethipothala Falls. This gives a scope for people to assume that these falls are part of that project, though that project does not do any activity of LIS.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ethipothala Falls.|
|This article about a location in Andhra Pradesh is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|