Ethiraj College for Women
|Ethiraj College for Women|
|Motto||To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield|
|Principal||Dr. A. Nirmala|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Affiliations||University of Madras|
Ethiraj College for Women is a degree-granting college for women in Chennai, India. It was founded in 1948 by V. L. Ethiraj, the Founder Chairman of the Ethiraj College Trust. The current Chairman is V.M. Muralidharan.
About the Founder
V.L. Ethiraj was born on 18 July 1890. His father Lakshmana Swamy Mudaliar, was a well known philanthropist of Thottapalayam village in Vellore District. V.L. Ethiraj graduated from Presidency College, Chennai. He was tutored by Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan, the first President of Republic India. He took his legal degree from University of Dublin and on his return to India joined The Madras Bar. Within a short period he built up a lucrative practice by his efficiency and was the first Indian to be appointed as Crown Prosecutor by the British Government.
He donated his life’s earnings - a mammoth sum of Rs.10 lakhs and the title deeds of two bungalows for providing quality education for women.
- V. L. Ethiraj, Barrister-at-Law [1948-60]
- V.T. Rangaswami, B.A.B.L. [1960-72]
- N. Mahalingam, B.Sc., F.I.E. [1972-80]
- Justice. S. Natarajan, B.A.B.L. [1980-98]
- Justice. S. Jagadeesan, B.A.B.L. [1998-2008]
- Dr. A.M. Swaminathan, IAS (Retd.) [2008-13]
- V.M. Muralidharan, B.E. (Hons.) [2013–present]
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (October 2013)|
- Trisha Krishnan
- Sudha Ragunathan
- Jayanthi Natarajan
- Joshna Chinappa
- Kanimozhi Karunanidhi
- Dipika Pallikal
- "Education panacea for many problems: Shah. Addresses College Day and silver jubilee celebrations". The Hindu. 2006-03-17. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- "Ethiraj College Should Be A Deemed University". Chennai Online. Archived from the original on 2008-05-30. Retrieved 2008-06-17.