|Studio album by Yanni|
|Released||February 11, 2003|
Soft adult contemporary
Ethnicity is the thirteenth studio album by Yanni, released on the Virgin Records label in 2003, (see 2003 in music) extending his "One World, One People" philosophy. It peaked at #27 on Billboard's "Top Internet Albums" chart and at #27 on the "Billboard 200" chart in 2003. It also peaked at #1 on the "Top New Age Albums" chart in 2004.
- 1 Background
- 2 Album
- 3 The Ethnicity concert tour
- 4 References
- 5 External links
One element distinguishing Ethnicity from previous albums is the extensive use of human voices, not only solo arias and group chants, but also bona fide lyrics, a rare departure for the artist. "The Promise", for example, is an adaptation of an earlier composition, "Secret Vows", featuring lyrics from longtime friend Pamela McNeill and sung by powerhouse vocalist Alfreda Gerald, a member of Yanni's Tribute tour. The album's final track reflects his own cultural heritage with a traditional Greek island folk song, "Jivaeri".
|1.||"Rites of Passage"||4:35|
|2.||"For All Seasons"||5:37|
|5.||"Written on the Wind"||3:57|
|6.||"Playing by Heart"||4:37|
|7.||"At First Sight"||5:14|
|9.||"Almost a Whisper"||3:51|
|10.||"Never Too Late"||5:01|
- All music composed and arranged by Yanni. (except "Jivaeri")
- Pedro Eustache – Flutes, World Reeds, Duduk, Argul, Uilleann pipes, Chanter, and Saxophone.
- Karen Briggs – Violin
- Alfreda Gerald (also lead vocals on "The Promise", "Tribal Dream", and "Never Too Late")
- Michelle Amato (also lead vocals on "For All Seasons", "Almost a Whisper", and "Jivaeri")
- Noelani Brock (and lead vocals on "Written on the Wind")
- Regina Acuna-Williams
- Peter Lehman
- Randy Nichols
- Suzy Park
- Kurt von Schmittou
- Lyrics for "The Promise" and "Almost a Whisper" by Pamela McNeill.
- Engineered and mixed by Yanni at his private studios.
- Assistant engineer: Anthony Stabile
- Mastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood, CA.
- Recorded and mixed on a Soundtracs DPC-II Digital Console
- All piano tracks were recorded on a Yamaha CFIII 5, 9' Concert Grand
The Ethnicity concert tour
Yanni Fall 2003 Newsletter
On March 1, 2003, after a nearly five-year absence from touring, Yanni opened his 2003/2004 Ethnicity Tour in Las Vegas' Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. The Ethnicity concerts showcased both familiar and favorite musicians and music, as well as brand-new compositions and musical talent. Some of the returning artists included Charlie Adams on drums, Karen Briggs on violin, Pedro Eustache on flute/woodwinds, Ric Fierabracci on bass guitar, Ming Freeman and Bradley Joseph on keyboards, and Alfreda Gerald on vocals. Yanni also discovered new talent from all corners of the world - Puerto Rico, Paraguay, Armenia, and the Ukraine. All of this multicultural talent blended harmoniously to enhance Yanni's musical definition of Ethnicity. Newcomers included Samvel Yervinyan on violin, Dan Landrum on hammered dulcimer, and Victor Espinola on Paraguayan harp. The  tour spanned 96 days, 60 cities, and more than 27,000 miles logged. It was seen by nearly a half million fans throughout the U.S. and Canada.
(2003-05-20) Yanni, an alum of the University of Minnesota and the 1980s Twin Cities hair-rock band Chameleon, has elevated instrumental music to new heights. Equal parts showman and maestro, the keyboard icon, who has done command performances at the Taj Mahal and Acropolis, returns to his old stomping grounds with former Chameleon drummer Charlie Adams and keyboardist Bradley Joseph. Expect more singing this time from Alfreda Gerald, whose mostly wordless vocalizing is featured on the new CD Ethnicity.
Featured tour musicians
- Personal Management: Danny O'Donovan, Danny O'Donovan Entertainiment Group
- Business Management: Seven Eight, Inc., Tom Paske, George Veras, Diane Kramer, Anda Allenson, Richard Allenson
- Tour & Production Manager: Michael Weiss
- Production Supervisor: Anthony Stabile
- Personal Assistant to Yanni: Don Bath
- Road Manager: Craig Yun
- Stage Manager: Richard Bray
- Production Coordinator: Kathleen Kronauer
- Tour Accountant: Richard Allenson
- Tour Security: Jason Temke
- Lighting Director: Bud Horowitz
- Yanni's wardrobe designed by Nolan Miller
- Costume Design/Wardrobe: Jennifer Jacobs, Thomas Wells
- "Official biography". Yanni.com. Archived from the original on 2006-12-20. Retrieved 2006-12-21.
- "Chart history for Ethnicity". AMG. Retrieved 2015-04-28.
- Ethnicity (CD liner). Yanni. Virgin Records. 2003. 7-2435-81516-0-2.
- Bream, Jon (2003-05-20). "This Week IN MUSIC". Star Tribune.
- Ethnicity World Tour 2003–2004 - Official concert program. Yanni. 2003.