Étienne (Canadian musician)
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2009)|
Étienne is a Canadian singer. It is the stage name of Steven Langlois (born February 28, 1971), who is a Warner Music Canada recording artist. He has sold tens of thousands of CDs worldwide. Following a successful 2007 World Tour 2007 that saw him perform sold-out concerts across Canada, the United States, and Australia,
Étienne is a teacher with the Greater Essex County District School Board. Born and raised in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, he began performing at a young age. While attending the University of Windsor, where he graduated with a B.A. in French Language and Literature and a B.Ed., he began composing songs designed to help children learn English, French and Spanish using popular styles of music. Now residing in LaSalle, Ontario, with his wife and two children, he has taught English and French to students from grades one to twelve for the past sixteen years.
Étienne writes for several widely used international school programs produced by leading educational companies including Thomson Nelson, Oxford University Press, Pearson Education, Prentice Hall, Ginn, Gage Canada and Denmark's Forlag Malling Beck. He has had his songs translated into the Cree language in Saskatchewan.
Recent awards and honours
- Winner of the “Canada’s Favourite Children’s Artist of the Year Award (2004)” (CMW “Indies” Awards). Nominees for this award were chosen by members of the music industry and winners were determined by national fan-based voting.
- Winner of the “2003 Children's Album of Year” award at the Canadian Music Week “Indies” Awards ceremony where his CD “C'est le temps” was chosen over those of many established Children’s artists including Fred Penner.
- Recipient of the 2003 Helen B. St. John Award for “outstanding professional contribution and leadership in the field of modern languages” from the Ontario Modern Language Teachers' Association. Étienne is the youngest person to be awarded this honour.
- Winner of a “2002 Parents' Choice Award” for his video “Rockumentaire”. This educational music video was placed on the same esteemed list as the then, newly released Harry Potter film. His CD, “C'est le temps”, also won the "2002 Parents' Choice Award".
Reaching beyond his music, Étienne interacts regularly with his fans via Educorock.com, which was established in 1995 and reportedly receives 100,000 hits per month. The site features the "Fan Zone Riddle Contest" where fans can win CDs, posters, videos and T-shirts for answering riddles and challenges.
- "Étienne: Les vidéos françaises" - 2011
- "Étienne: Los videos espanoles" - 2011
- "Français! Francais!" - 2010
- Le retour CD - 2008
- "Beauty of Discovery" (single) - 2006
- Me gusta CD - 2005
- Grammar Jams 2 CD - 2004
- Grammar Jams CD - 2003
- C'est le temps CD - 2002
- Rockumentaire (Videos Collection) - 1999
- Educorock Espanol CD - 1999
- La danse des araignees CD - 1998
- Chez Moi CD - 1996
- Étienne s/t CD - 1994