Etobicoke-Finch West LRT
|System||Toronto rapid transit|
Humber College Terminal
|Operator(s)||Toronto Transit Commission|
|Rolling stock||Flexity Freedom|
|Line length||17 km (11 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Electrification||750V DC overhead|
|Operating speed||80 km/h|
The Etobicoke-Finch West LRT is a proposed light rail line in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It was part of the Transit City proposal announced on March 16, 2007, to be operated by the Toronto Transit Commission. Construction is to begin in 2015, and the line to be inservice from the Toronto-York-Spadina Subway Extension (TYSSE) to Humber College in 2019.
When first announced, it was expected to cost approximately $1.2 billion, with construction to begin in 2010 and an expected opening in 2013, as the second of the seven Transit City lines to be completed after the Sheppard East LRT line.
On April 1, 2009, the Ontario government announced that it would provide funding for construction of this line. However, Mayor Rob Ford cancelled the line after taking office in December 2010. In February 2012, city council voted to restore the LRT as part of a new transit plan restoring some of the elements of the Transit City proposal over Mayor Ford's objections.
- 1 Route layout
- 2 Potential extensions
- 3 Proposed stops
- 4 Proposed Transit City LRT lines
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
In the Transit City plan, the Etobicoke-Finch West LRT line would run for 23.4 km, estimated to account for 25 million trips in 2021. The western terminus of the line would be built in the Highway 27/Humber College area in Etobicoke. The line would run along Finch Avenue West eastward, terminating at Finch Station in North York. After the line is built, a future extension west into Mississauga may be considered. Following the cancellation of the line and its subsequent reinstatement, the route layout is subject to revision by Metrolinx and the TTC.
These segments are not part of Transit City. They may be constructed at the same time the rest of the line is built or later.
Woodbine Live to Mississauga
The Etobicoke-Finch West LRT had been conceived to continue west into Peel Region from the proposed terminus at the Woodbine Live Development. This extension takes the Etobicoke-Finch West LRT from the Woodbine Live Development west to cross the Toronto/Peel Region border and continue to an undisclosed location within Peel Region.
Woodbine Live to Pearson Airport
The Etobicoke-Finch West LRT had been conceived to continue west to Toronto Pearson International Airport in Peel Region from the proposed terminus at the Woodbine Live Development. This extension takes the Etobicoke-Finch West LRT from the Woodbine Live Development west to cross the Toronto/Peel Region border to Pearson Airport.
Finch Station to Don Mills Station
The TTC has indicated that stops will be spaced on average 646 m apart. This list does not include potential extensions of the Etobicoke-Finch West LRT. The distances between these stops varies, but they are likely candidates, from west to east:
- Woodbine Live Development (under consideration)
- Humber College (location TBD)
- Highway 27/Humber College Boulevard
- Westmore Drive
- Martin Grove Road
- Albion Road
- Stevenson Road
- Kipling Avenue
- Islington Avenue
- Pearldale Avenue/Ardwick Boulevard
- Duncanwoods Drive
- Milvan Drive/Rumike Road
- Weston Road
- Signet Drive/Arrow Road
- Norfinch Drive/Oakdale Road
- Jane Street (connection to future Jane LRT line)
- Driftwood Avenue
- Tobermory Drive
- Sentinel Road
- Keele Street - Finch West Station (connection to future Yonge-University-Spadina subway extension)
- Alexdon Road
- Chesswood Drive
- Alness Street/Champagne Drive
- Dufferin Street
- Wilmington Avenue
- Torresdale Avenue/Goldfinch Court
- Bathurst Street
- Finchhurst Drive
- Senlac Road
- Talbot Road
- Yonge Street - Finch Station (connection to Yonge-University-Spadina subway)
Possible future extension on Finch
Proposed Transit City LRT lines
- Eglinton Crosstown LRT
- Jane LRT
- Etobicoke-Finch West LRT
- Don Mills LRT
- Scarborough Malvern LRT
- Waterfront West LRT
- Sheppard East LRT
- "Metrolinx Etobicoke-Finch West LRT Environmental Project Report Executive Summary". http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/finch_west_ea/executive_summary.pdf.
- Giorgio Mammoliti (2013-10-12). "Finch LRT will be a disaster: Preliminary study points to economic chaos if transit plan goes ahead". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- Mertrolinx Board Report April 25, 2012
- GTA transit gets $9B jump-start
- "Province Moving Transit Projects Forward" (Press release). Ontario Ministry of Transportation. 2009-04-01. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- Mayor Rob Ford: “Transit City is over” Toronto Life December 1, 2010
- Council opts for light-rail lines over Ford's lone subway track, The Globe and Mail February 8, 2012