Etobicoke Collegiate Institute
||This school-related article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (November 2009)|
|Etobicoke Collegiate Institute|
Semper Ad Meliora
Always Towards the Better
|86 Montgomery Road
Islington-City Centre West, Etobicoke, Ontario, M9A 3N5, Canada
|School number||2802 / 909572|
|School board||Toronto District School Board
(Etobicoke Board of Education)
|Area trustee||Chris Glover|
|Vice Principals||Tammy Greeley, Lewis Genge|
|Funding type||Public High School|
|Mascot||Ram (Ruckus the Ram)|
|Team name||Etobicoke Rams|
|Colors||Garnet, Green and Gold|
|Homepage||Etobicoke Collegiate Institute|
Etobicoke Collegiate Institute (ECI, Etobicoke CI) is a large high school located at the former centre of Etobicoke in the historic Islington neighbourhood in the west end of Toronto, Canada, and is overseen by the former Etobicoke Board of Education which is part of the merged Toronto District School Board.
Etobicoke Collegiate Institute was founded in the fall of 1928 and is one of Toronto's oldest schools and the first and traditionally central school for Etobicoke, having celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2003. The high school has about 1450 students and over 100 teachers. Etobicoke Collegiate Institute is also the second-surviving high school in Etobicoke after the now-defunct Mimico High School (whose building now houses John English Junior Middle School).
E.C.I's traditional rivals are Richview Collegiate Institute, located about 2 kilometres north, and Martingrove Collegiate Institute. All three schools compete vigorously in football, as well as other various sports and share a somewhat similar socioeconomic demographic.
The Etobicoke Collegiate Institute extracurricular activity list is vast stretching from music to most sports to Model U.N., Reach for the Top and the Robotics Team (2185). Competing in the FIRST robotics competition (FRC), 2007 results include a 23rd place finish out of 63 teams in GTA championships. 2008 results include a 64th place finish out of 66 teams in GTA championships. 2009, the team won the both the Waterloo and Greater Toronto Regional Championships. Going into the 2012 season, with a rookie team, finishing 17 out of 36 teams in GTA East Championships; defeated in the quarterfinals and finishing 44 out of 54 teams in the GTA West Championships; defeated in the semifinals. The 2012 season one of the most successful season by 2185.
Etobicoke Collegiate's Student Administrative Council is made up of 7 elected student leaders, President: Komal Patel, Vice-President: Abdiassis Issa, Junior Vice President: Nikki Lee, Treasure: Mar Abera, Secretary: Lauren Holden, and Events Coordinator: Alexia Vuckovic are the elected student council officials for the 2011/2012 school year.
Fall Sports: Basketball, Football, Cross Country, Tennis, Golf
Winter Sports: Ice Hockey, Swimming, Badminton, Volleyball, Curling, Wrestling (2010/2011 debut)
Spring Sports: Soccer, Baseball, Softball, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Lacrosse
This school also has future NBA draft pick Mohamud Hassan currently attending the school
Future possible 1st round NHL draft pick, Lukas Furlan, is in his final yera on the ECI hockey team
- Ken Dryden, former Montreal Canadiens goaltender and former President of the Toronto Maple Leafs; former Member of Parliament
- Jeff Healey, rock musician
- Jeff Johnson, Toronto Argonauts running back
- Liam Killeen, drummer for Canadian pop-punk band Not By Choice, and New York-based band Cute Is What We Aim For
- Marnie McBean, gold medallist rower
- Peter Milczyn, city councillor in Toronto, Canada, representing one of the two Etobicoke—Lakeshore wards.
- Lisa Ray, actress, model
- Donald Smythe, four time national badminton champion, Thomas Cup player, All-England Championships 1953 finalist 
- Chris Stockwell, former cabinet minister in Mike Harris's Progressive Conservative government in Ontario and Speaker of the Ontario Legislature
- David Sparrow, actor, comic.
- "Ken Dryden: Growing Up". Ken Dryden campaign. Retrieved 2007-10-27.
- "JAM! Music - Pop Encyclopedia: Healey, Jeff". CANOE. Retrieved 2007-10-27.
- Etobicoke Collegiate Institute
- TDSB Profile
- Etobicoke Collegiate Institute - Toronto District School Board
- ECI Robotics