|Key people||Jonathan Assia, CEO and co-founder|
eToro was founded in 2007 in Tel-Aviv, by brothers Yoni Assia and Ronen Assia together with David Ring. eToro's founders wanted to make the world of financial investment accessible to everyone through the company's initial financial trading platform, which was a download only product, incorporating graphic trading visualizations which conceptualized the trading process as a race between currencies or a currency tug of war. Later the company expanded its product offering by launching a professional trading application, "Expert Mode", and a web based trading platform "WebTrader".
In 2010 eToro launched the eToro OpenBook social investment platform, along with its "Copy-Trading" feature. The eToro OpenBook enables investors to view, follow and copy the network's top traders automatically. In 2011, Etoro launches it's first Android apps for investor to buy and sell stock via mobile itself.
In 2013, eToro introduced the capability to invest in stock CFDs, with an initial offering of 110 stock products. That same year, eToro was authorized to offer its services in the UK by the FCA regulatory authority, under the subsidiary eToro UK. In January 2014, eToro added Bitcoin CFDs to its investment instruments.
In its public statements the company has reported that by 2010 it had 1.5 million registered customers. By the end of 2013 it reportedly had over 3 million accounts. eToro is regulated by the CySec authority in Europe, and authorized by the FCA in the UK.
eToro's social trading services are based on a live stream of trading data that is uploaded to the eToro OpenBook platform for everyone to see.
Each user automatically has all their trades presented in their eToro OpenBook profile where other users can then view their trading statistics. Users can then set their accounts to copy any investor on the network, in which case the eToro system will duplicate each trade made by the copied investor in the copier's account. eToro provides support via Chat and Phone in various languages and USD/EUR/GBP currency deposits are accepted, Islamic terms accounts are also offered
- Donnie Rust, eToro. Seriously? Is It That Easy?, Littlegate Publishing, 7 November 2013
- PRWEB, eTORO Launches a Revolutionary Forex Trading Platform for Financial Trading, PRWeb, 10 September 2007
- eToro Launches New Features For Forex Investment, Investing.com, 2014
- Michael Greenberg, eToro launches its own Forex Social Community – OpenBook, Forex Magnates 12 July 2010
- "Etoro Trading Account". Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- eToro, Crunch Base, 2014
- TechCrunch, 8 June 2010.
- "Social Investment Network eToro Is Picking Up Another $15 Million From Spark, Others". techcrunch.com. 13 March 2012.
- eToro Careers, eToro Website
- Ron Finberg, eToro Adds Stocks on its Social Trading Network as Operations Evolve, Forex Magnates, 25 July 2013
- Elliott Holley, eToro prepares to bring social investing to Britain, Banking technology, 14 May 2013
- Vidhi Doshi, eToro launches Bitcoin trade, Tech City News, 13 January 2014
- Paz Diamant, More new stocks! German and British stocks now available for investment, eToro Website, 14 April 2014
- eToro Surpasses 1.5 Million Users, PR Newswire, 20 April 2011
- Joon Ian Wong, eToro Launches Bitcoin Trading For 3 Million Users, CoinDesk, 13 January 2014
- Investment Firms, Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission
- The Financial Services Register, Bank of England, 2013
- Social Trading Tools, eToro Website, 2014
- eToro Social Trading, ForexChef Website, 2014
- Trading Spreads, eToro website, 2014
- eToro Official website
- Tom Groenfeldt, Better Foreign Exchange Investing Through Social Networking, Forbes, 26 July 2011
- eToro: Social Investment Network Tracking Traders, Bloomberg TV, 27 June 2013
- Jonathan Morgan, Guru Networks Sell Social Investing to Copycat Traders, Bloomberg, 26 Jun 2013
- Rosie Murray-West, Tweet your way to profitable trading, The Telegraph, 27 May 2013
- Joanna Faith, Social media investment network adds stocks and shares, Money.com, 16 Jul 2013
- Kadhim Shubber, Yoni Assia on the human element of trading, Wired 24 July 2013
- eToro Blog - Stories From the Social Trading World, Official eToro Blog